sea foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sea foam

I see it recommended here often. I have certainly heard of it but never used it. The bike I bought was sitting for almost 2 years and I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and did an oil change along with a ton of other work but still feel like it could do with an additive and some highway speed running to clear its throat. Is sea foam added to the gas tank or to the oil? Should I just use gum out carb cleaner additive?
    Alex

If your carbs are clean, just add the regular stabil to each tank. That will keep the gas from gumming everything up if it sits too long. You can add seafoam, additives, etc; but they should not be necesary for your bike to run right. If carbs are spotless, valves adjusted, etc, etc and you have running problems, no additive is going to help very much. You need to search for the real problem by troubleshooting the specific symptoms. I have used seafoam as a fuel stabilizer, but didn't see any other benefit. I think Stabil works better for that specific job.
    Regards,
    Jason

Comment

For you, Seafoam in the gas tank and take it for a good ride
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I know some Goldwingers that "treat" their bike to some Seafoam every tankful or every other tankful, then about once a month give it a double dose and go for a LONG ride to "clean it out".

I have used a stronger dose to try to clear out a minor problem, but don't see the need to add it regularly at all.

I have tried it as a stabilizer for winterization, but I agree with CrazyCloud, I think that Stabil works better.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Use the marine stabil (blue stuff) it's better than regular stabil (red stuff)at absorbing water and keeping ethanol at bay. I use a maintenance dose regularly in season for happy motoring.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have put Seafoam in my boat, cars, and motorcycle. I have never been able to tell if it truly made a difference. I have also used in my small engine equipment. In a small engine, I have experienced near miracles with Seafoam. A once per year treatment is sufficient for large engines in my opinion.

Comment

Youtube seafoam test. One guy did seafoam, atf, water. Pulls head before and after, compression test.... It removed carbon. Forgot the channel but he was very through and unpaid. Actually sold me on higher milage vehicles.

Comment

Working...
              X