Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Spring Upgrade

Hi All,

Looking for a little help. I have progressive shocks as my rear suspension and was going to upgrade my fork springs during an upcoming fork seal job. Can anyone help me find fork springs for my bike?? I was looking for some progressive's but at all the sites I'm only given options for rear shocks, never front fork springs when I focus in on an 82 850.

Help is appreciated!
    -Rich

1982 GS850GL - WE DID IT! Introduction

Fellow member Rich Desmond would appreciate it if you would look at his company, Sonic Springs.

I have some in my '80 850 and really like them, even better than the Progressives that are in the other GSes here.

Because of the frame-mounted fairing and my gravitational attraction, I chose the 1.1 rate springs, and am using 10w fork oil. GREAT ride.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Fellow member Rich Desmond would appreciate it if you would look at his company, Sonic Springs.

I have some in my '80 850 and really like them, even better than the Progressives that are in the other GSes here.

Because of the frame-mounted fairing and my gravitational attraction, I chose the 1.1 rate springs, and am using 10w fork oil. GREAT ride.

I shall take a look! Thanks!
      -Rich

Comment

Another satisfied Sonic buyer here, service was excellent and prices very reasonable. The biggest reason to go with a straight rate spring over Progressive Suspension springs is you can choose the correct rate for your bike and riding. PS fork springs are too soft for the vast majority of the GS bikes. They are stiffer than OEM, so they are an improvement over original but they are not even close to being correct overall. Go with the correct rate Sonic springs, run zero air pressure and set the oil level according to Rich's recommendations and you will be very happy with the result.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
          Another satisfied Sonic buyer here, service was excellent and prices very reasonable. The biggest reason to go with a straight rate spring over Progressive Suspension springs is you can choose the correct rate for your bike and riding. PS fork springs are too soft for the vast majority of the GS bikes. They are stiffer than OEM, so they are an improvement over original but they are not even close to being correct overall. Go with the correct rate Sonic springs, run zero air pressure and set the oil level according to Rich's recommendations and you will be very happy with the result.

Mark
          Super mega-dittos on that. All my bikes are wearing Sonic springs.

One of the things you notice immediately with the correct straight rate springs is that there's a lot less brake dive. Even if you ride like a terrified granny, better, safer braking is always a good thing.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thank you for all the info! Following you guys hasn't led me wrong yet, so Sonic Springs have been ordered
            -Rich

Comment

Sonic springs....I must order some too!

Post pics of your rebuild!

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                Sonic springs....I must order some too!

Post pics of your rebuild!

Ed
                Thought you already did...what's the hold up man lol.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                X