Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting plastic rear fender and engine cases...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting plastic rear fender and engine cases...

Hello all. I'm running out of stuff to do to my '81 GS850G, but there are two remaining details I'd like to improve. The forward half of the plastic rear fender has numerous light scuffs on it (but no gouges), and I'd like it to look perfect. Does anyone have any suggestions for the type of paint I should use? I'm thinking formulated specifically for plastic, and semi-gloss.

As for the engine cases, there are some fairly large patches where the original silver paint has flaked off, but I don't want to remove the engine from the bike to do a full re-paint of the engine. Does anyone know of a good paint that comes in a rattle can and matches the color and high-temp capabilities of the factory paint? If it doesn't come in a rattle can, I do have an air brush I can use.

I've attached a photo of the engine.
    DSC_2845.jpg

Go to a good automotive parts store or Amazon, which would be cheaper, and order some 3M sandpaper up to 2000 grit. Those covers will sand out nice using dish soap. Easier if they are removed. Appears to be the clearcoat coming off. You can see my results in picture.

Yes, plastic paint works well. Again, sand out using 800 or 1000 grit. Spray, sand until you get what you want.

This is how mine turned out after a few steps. Light coats only, take your time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2017, 07:28 AM. Reason: Text

Comment

Krylon fusion paint for the plastics
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
      X