stud bolts bottom of forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stud bolts bottom of forks

Anyone know how difficult it is to remove the threaded studs on the bottom of the forks. PO stripped one and I need to replace. See pic attached. Punch is pointing to it. This is the good one.
    Attached Files

Better to show the bad one! But I'd say, "oh-oh! " I've always had to drill these out...(and too many times wish I hadn't tried....) I'd consider taking it to a machinist .
    Be diligent about studying up on all the things that can go wrong...
    here's one to read

Comment

They're held in with factory thread locker and come out pretty easily if you hear them up first.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

There you go! A decent picture would,ve been nice...Mr.Sunny and Mr.Darkness ! I assume the worst with snapped off stud on corroded barn bike but if just the threads are stripped...still, Mr.Darkness can still see you breaking it off with a pair of vice grips...tiny turns in-out as you try to turn it out...

Comment

I've replaced a couple of those with no issues. Bunch of spray before hand and a pair of vice grips if I remember right. There might have been a bit of heat to one of them but never had any real issues getting them out.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I haven't found them to hard to get out either.Like Rob said a vice grip usually suffices.My GPz fork is wearing one taken off a GS fork.

Comment

Yep. Common job, since Suzuki made the studs out of cheddar cheese.

A little heat helps -- no need to get it red hot or anything -- then grab 'em with locking pliers and twist 'em out. You can get 8mm studs at a decent auto or hardware store. (Notice I said "decent" -- the teenagers and drifters running the register at the big box stores won't have the slightest idea what you're looking for.)
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks to all. I let it sit for a few days with PJ Blast penetrating oil on it and it came out just fine. Local auto shop had a 8mm stud. All is good. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X