Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picking up 1980 GS750 tomorrow. Have basic fluids questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this weekend I spent some $$$ but got some peace of mind out of it.

The previous owner, who was a oil rig wildcatter & hulking side-of-a-house type of guy, had some stock-looking (but stiff as all-hell) shocks out back which had me standing on tippy-toes at stoplights even though I'm 5'-10".
    So my riding partner & good friend JD came over so we could look it over for the simplest ($$$) solution.
    He's an offshore-racing boat builder & has an innate ability to quickly find the simplest, most common-sense solution to any mechanical problem.
    We simply dropped them down to the next-to-lowest setting, which still gave me sufficient ground clearance in the corners, but allowed me to get my feet nearly flat on the ground when standing the bike upright.

The Deka ETX15L is still on the trickle charger waiting to go into the battery tray, but I just haven't had the time to get to it or fit the K&N air filter into the airbox.
    Thankfully, I'm slammed with work right now (even in this economy) & it's just too damned hot when I get home (even at 5:00 or so) to get up the motivation to want to go down to the garage to do these simple things.
    90 to 92 degrees, with close to 80% humidity is not uncommon theses days in South Florida, so I'm trying to cut myself some slack.

Comment

The heat finally let up long enough for me to get some work done on the bike yesterday night.

The Deka battery went in --- a PERFECT fit, BTW --- which made me feel MUCH better.
      Not only are absorbed glass mat batteries lighter, they're maintenance-free, generally have a higher cold-cranking amps (CCA) rating & there are no worries about spilling acid that can rust out & destroy a battery tray faster than you can imagine.

Next came the K&N air filter.
      After lightly oiling it down, it too snapped right on in & was a direct-fit replacement for the stock paper element that the bike's previous owner had in the airbox.

I had been meaning to raise the idle a wee bit from Day One, as I found it to be too low at about 925 RPM & prone to stalling the motor out.
      The idle stop screw was easy to find behind the 3rd cylinder carb, but somewhat difficult for my big hand to access it.
      Thankfully, the factory gave it some serrations so that I was able to get a good grip & raise the idle to a more-reasonable 1050 RPM.

Last, but not least, on my list was to check the charging system by metering out at the starter relay.
      Working alone with a non-alligator-clip-lead-voltmeter & lacking an all-important 3rd hand, I was unsuccessful.
      Oh well, I can always leave that for another day.

Comment

Working...
      X