Time for new tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for new tires?

Suppose you have an old motorcycle with an unknown but dubious history and you spend an inordinate amount of time getting it in running shape again and you've put a few hundred miles on it.

When's it time to get new tires?
    My tires aren't bald and they hold air, I don't have to pump 'em up or anything, but I just wonder, yknow, how do you evaluate tires?
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Date stamps on the tires are your best indicator of rideability. They are not the be-all to end-all, but the current recommendation is 10 years, whether you ride them or not. If they are wearing well, stick with them if they were manufactured since 2007.

Storage conditions will play a role in the longevity of the rubber.

My personal gauge is how their wet weather performance compares to new, but of course, with a dubious history, you can't make that comparison.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

If tyres are stored in a cool dry covered environment there good for 6 yrs, but anything that is stamped over 4 yrs old you still have to wonder. I even said 6 yrs before i read this article below...

Comment

Even more conservative estimates give them 5 years...
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I shoulda scrolled down farther to the tires subsection, lol.

I read a 3402 on both tires. So I guess they're fifteen years old. Yeah, I think I'll be getting some new tires.
          "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
            I shoulda scrolled down farther to the tires subsection, lol.

I read a 3402 on both tires. So I guess they're fifteen years old. Yeah, I think I'll be getting some new tires.
            Good idea.

Generally, tires on my bikes are like Roman soldiers: they lead short, brutal lives but with lots of excitement, travel, and glory.

My personal limit is about three years, but it's been a while since I've had a set hang around that long.

As a rule of thumb, if I find myself thinking or worrying about my tires, I replace them. One less thing on my mind, and it's simply not worth taking risks to eke out a few hundred more miles.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
            X