Istalling Vetter 4 fairing on 1980 GS100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    Picture of wiring harness I had, just so we know we are talking about the same thing.
    If you look at the connector on the fairing, you'll see the top and bottom tabs that lock the wiring harness on....push those inward and you an remove it to clean and/or check wiring. You can also make your own direct wire harness if need be and use other wire connectors.
    For my windstar fairing the headlight bucket has to be removed, but you can just swing in the two brackets to clear the inside of the fairing...dropping the forks enough to fully remove the brackets is probably the best way, but once you have the fairing test fit in, you'll know if that will work or not.

Comment

Pic of frame mounting bracket, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing.

THrottle lock is not part of this, but the U-clamps in the box are.

While my bracket is for the 1000g, it also works for the 850g. My fairing mounts are the early heavy duty version {or just read "heavy"}...two cross rods and two side plates..plus four U clamps.

Comment

Mark,

Good that you have the frame bracket. THose are specific to what bike they were meant for. (I, too, was looking for one of those in your pic, and didnt see one.)
        THe fairing should have the frame bracket suitable for your bike, and a wiring harnes that plugs into the fairing and wires to interface to bikes wiring. SOmetimes those get seperated from the fairing, and faring sold without those.

I have some scans of jammer IV and jammer V manuals. PM me your email, if you are interested.

The jammer IV that I had for 850, had a rubber boot thing to put over the headlight shell after taking out the headlight.
        I dont recall if NEED to remove the headlight for clearence, or if remove headlight to put put in the fairing.

...later note.
        I see you have email listed.
        Will send those.

Dave
        Dave, I just checked out the Vetter insall .pdfs and they look really good. Very helpful, include a lot of small details that could be easily overlooked. Here's a picture of all the stuff I have ready to go. The hardware is in the bag tied to one of the faring brackets which came of a '80GS1000G so I should be good. With regard to the rubber boot over the back of the headlight, yes, my fairing has it too and it doesn't seem to get in the way of anything and looks as if it's designed to protect the connectors from moisture. I'm going to take my time and maybe I'll get it all done tomorrow. I especially like the idea of doing it from the top- taking off the tripple tree clamp and moving the brackets etc. upward as opposed to taking the whole front end of the bike off.
        Vetter_2.jpg

Mark

Comment

MUCH easier to just drop the front wheel and fender. Loosen the triple tree pinch bolts and drop the forks down. Use a jack or some wood to support the bike underneath the exhaust or oil pan. I just use a floor jack and piece of 2x4. Jack her up while on the center stand until the rear tire touches the ground.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

But disconnect the brake calipers of course....right?

Comment

Mind you, this is for the early/heavy mount as you can see by the triangulated side pieces, but it's a vague idea of how she'd mount up...fairing mount 002.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X