Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Riddle me this

Quote Originally Posted by Macdiggity View Post
    After diagnosing the bike, a carb replacement/clean isn't needed...it shows no sign of having dirty carbs.
    Wait, you are telling us you haven't ridden it yet, but you think the carbs are OK because they show no signs of being dirty? Be prepared for some disappointment. The parts that get "dirty" are deep inside, not visible to the naked eye. They can be IMMACULATE on the outside, but thoroughly clogged on the inside.

The only main issues I'm seeing right now is that it has no clutch feel, the clutch release is basically when you let go of the lever making it impossible to start up a hill without just lettin it rip. Andd I'm not sure if it needs a cable adjustment, or a new clutch also (it's almost impossible to adjust I'm finding out, so it may just need a new cable).
    A new cable might fix some of the problem, but proper adjustment will show whether you need to replace any other parts in the clutch system.

The other main issue that's apparent is the charging system. The headlight gets brighter when I give it throttle so I'm assuming at idle it isn't charging the battery.
    Do yourself and your bike a favor, DO NOT ASSUME. One of our members has a very good piece of advice in his signature: "To measure is to know." I follow that all the time. It is quite typical for the lights to brighten up when the engine speed is raised above idle. What you need to KNOW is what the voltage is at idle and what it goes to when you rev the engine. There are upgrades available for a better charging system, but it's still typical for the voltage to rise.

Otherwise it's in fantastic condition.
    Pictures? Please? Some of us might see something that looks good, but is blatantly wrong.

There's no dash, so if you guys could recommend one that's plug and play that would be awesome (speedo and tach is really all that's needed, maybe something to see the gears). The original one that I have from the seller doesn't have all the parts, and I don't feel like fiddling with it.
    Again, pictures of what you have would be good. It might not take much to get the stock one going. There isn't a whole lot out there that will show gear position, so stock will likely be best.

The only other stuff seem to be little...new tires poss, oil change, check brakes, aftermarket LED turn signals not flashing (turning on but no flasher, but I just purchased a new flasher so hopefully that fixes the problem). And maybe a new chain would be a good idea since there seems to be a little play. Once I'm done all this I'll try and get to the carbs if there's nothing left to do.
    I'll just go down your list here:
    - Don't guess on the tires, look at the date code in the DOT stamping on the sidewall.
    - Oil change is good, just use the correct oil, don't forget the filter.
    - You might have to do more than "check" the brakes you might have to rebuild the master cylinders and/or calipers. The master cylinders have a very tiny return port that is easily clogged. When it clogs, your brakes will lock up, which is not a fun experience. Changing the brake hoses is also recommended. Suzuki recommended replacement every two years. If you look at the date code on your hoses, I'll bet they are original.
    - LED signals need a different flasher or a load resistor. Maybe your new flasher will work. At least you don't have auto-cancel signals to worry about.
    - "Play" in the chain is actually good, but too much play can usually be adjusted out. Take a GOOD look at your chain and sprockets. If anything appear worn, replace the chain AND both sprockets as a set.
    - Good luck with putting the carbs off until the end. They should be among the FIRST things done, right along with the valve adjustment and electrical checks.

Good luck.

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

I've ridden the bike a handful of times. And i run it every week at least 2-3 days, roughly a half hour at a time. I think the carbs are ok because there's no throttle lag, or jolt. Throttle response is perfect and it's running as it should. The choke lever is a little sticky, but when I have a battery with charge it starts up without the choke on the first try, every time. The brakes and tires I'll be getting done professionally, when it comes to those 2 things I don't want to potentially mess it up. I'll add pictures of the bike now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default bike 1

Default bike 2

Default bike3

Mac, congrats on the purchase. You got the basis for a beautiful machine there. If you have a modicum of mechanical skill, you'll be fine. Bike looks like it definitely doesn't need a full tear down. The guys on this forum are friggin heroes. You'll get excellent direction from folks that are honest, and truly have a love of all things GS. best of luck.
    PB
    Central Jersey
    82' Suzuki GS750T
    76' Yamaha DT400

"Old school is the best school"

Mac I have just finished a restoration of my 1984 GS550ES over the winter. Your bike looks awesome and looks like you can just add your own preferences to detail it out. Get the tires and brakes renewed and enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

Tom AKA Magnafique