gs750 stuck shock bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs750 stuck shock bushing

Hello. I am having some trouble removing the bushing from the threaded post that the rear left shock attaches to. The right side shock top eye just slid straight off, but the left side bushing remained on the post as the shock was pulled off. It seems to spin around freely but has no lateral movement. I have given it a couple of good wacks from behind but am hesitant to hit harder. I was wondering if this is something anyone has experienced and if so what's the best method to remove it. many thanks. Mike.
    Attached Files

Spray it with PB Blaster or another good rust breaker and let it sit for a while. Then try a couple good whacks from the back. it should just be surface rust holding it on there. Good Luck!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

If it spins on the mount but won't come off then its burred. You need to be careful trying to pry it off in case you damage the threads in the process. I'd be inclined to cut a slot in it lengthways and try and open it up to remove.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I recently got my stuck shock off by getting behind it with a tapered splitter. But if it's burred then, as suggested, cut it open.
        The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Hi. I had to cut the bushing off. The outer edge (the non threaded part) of fixing post, had mushroomed out, riveting on the bushing.Thanks for suggestions. Mike.

Comment

Working...
          X