How to properly chase down air leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to properly chase down air leaks

I noticed a hanging idle on my GS450 and hit it with some carb spray around the intake boots - I can get the idle to stagger and with enough of it in a certain place I can get it to stumble enough to kill the engine.

My intake boots are around 3 years old with new O-rings. I pulled them off and the O-rings are still nice and round. I switched the O-rings with an extra pair I had and no difference.
    I cut out a couple gaskets in the shape of the boots (I know it's not supposed to have a gasket) and put them between the head/boots, with the O-rings still on and it didn't make a difference.

I've tried to `pinpoint' the leak with the little straw and have had varying results with this very inexact method but am somewhat confused by the results. Pretty much if I spray in position #1 (right above the top fin) it gets the most engine stumbling and everywhere else nothing much happens, even in position #2 (right below the top fin) and #3 (head/boot seam) nothing really happens when I try to restrict the carb spray to that area. Results are the same for both carbs.

Any tips on how to proceed? It really feels to me that it's not getting past the intake O-ring but I'm a little stumped as to where else there might be a leak.
    I have an extra pair of boots that are in pretty good condition that I'm going to try and I ordered new ones anyway as soon as I noticed it but am anticipating having to do some more testing.
    I figured maybe the weight of the carbs without the support of the airbox was causing a gap but if I prop the carbs up while spraying the carb spray it doesn't make a difference.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

When were the carbs last cleaned? What do the orings look like in the carbs? Is that phillips head screw under the #3 tight? I believe that is a sync port..
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Wait, if I read this correctly, getting a result at all at #1 would mean the engine head (or gasket) is leaky? :k

Anyway, I can't imagine the boots and rings deteriorate so much within only three years to get a hanging idle. I'm not familiar with the 450, but does it have a vacuum petcock? If so, I'd have a thorough look at both the tube, clamps if present, and the petcock.

I traced a high idle on some other bike down to a weak clamp combined with a tired vaccum tube.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Carbs cleaned a year and a half ago to GSR specs (dipped, new Orings, etc.). Checked the screw under #3 and it's tight. I hadn't considered the valve cover not being tight enough but I will.
        The 450 does have a vacuum petcock with the vacuum port being on the left carb. I havn't checked it `thoroughly' so will take a look later.
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Try putting proper clamps on the boots.Those rad hose clamps can distort the boots. Probably not the problem but it could be.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
            Try putting proper clamps on the boots.Those rad hose clamps can distort the boots. Probably not the problem but it could be.
            That would be my first line of attack, as well. The proper clamps are narrow enough to fit into the groove in the boot. Those clamps you have on there are gripping outside the clamping area, which can cause some strange problems.

I don't see how spraying anything at the #1 area will have any effect at all. You are spraying below the valve cover gasket (which would not make a difference anyway) and you are WAY above the head gasket area, which is below the boot. Based on the numbers in your picture, I would expect results only at locations 4 and 5, the rest of them don't make any sense.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X