Broken Secondary Gear - 2nd time in 2 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Secondary Gear - 2nd time in 2 years

October 2015 - Noticed a clunking while on a ride 15 minutes from home. Got home and started looking into things and found this:

Replaced it with a good used unit. 5000 miles without an issue.

Yesterday, was pulling into my street and noticed a similar clunking. This time its worse...

Obviously something is wrong... maybe its my riding style? I never bang the gears without the clutch. I never downshift abruptly.

Question I have... would the gear from an 81 850G work on my 83 1100G?

My guess is that you didn't set the backlash properly. The lash needs to be set so the gears mesh properly. Too much and they bottom out against each other. Too little and you end up breaking off the tips of the gears. You may also have some debris in there getting caught between the gears.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The 850 gears are a bit smaller than the 1100 gears, and they have a different ratio. You will note that your broken gear in the picture has 17 teeth. The gear that it drives has 16 teeth. On the 850, those numbers are reversed.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Years ago, I got a parts lot mostly 650 shafty stuff, but a few 850 items thrown in like this 16 tooth gear housing image.jpgassembly
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Also, note that Suzuki doesn't sell the gears individually. They're sold as a complete set for a reason. Wear and damage on one gear will affect the other as well. Kind of like replacing the chain and not the gears on a non-shafty.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Damnit... What if I replace the gear that bolts to the driveshaft with the 850's as well?

Comment

I seem to have found the underlying issue... and it looks like my bike will be out of commission for the foreseeable future.

Gear that leads to the driveshaft itself is broken at the nut. Only way to get the assembly out looks to involve removing the motor... or at least loosening it a bit. The assembly hits the frame where the swingarm bolts on.

UGH!!!!!!!!

Comment

I know the 850 gears can be removed with the engine in place, not sure about the 1100.

Might be able to just loosen the motor mounts and tip it forward a bit to get the little bit of room that you need.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve,

Do you see any issues with swapping the 850 gears into the 1100? I'm working on acquiring a nearly complete 850G.

Comment

It would change your drive ratio a bit, going from a 17/16 to a 16/17, but you would also have to change the driveshaft itself, as the yoke has a slightly smaller pattern than the 1100's.

That being said, I don't know for sure if the secondary gear housings are the same size, so would need to check that first.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

This sucks! I just sold the Honda a month ago and now with the riding season getting into full swing, this happens! ARGH!

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
                        This sucks! I just sold the Honda a month ago and now with the riding season getting into full swing, this happens! ARGH!
                        It's one reason I NEVER have less then 2 bikes road ready.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Secondary drive busted stud is the very reason I bought my second 1100. Wrench one, ride one and visey versey.
                          I don't know how closely related the G is to the GL in that area but my gears came out without removing the engine. I didn't have to loosen it either.
                          Alan

sigpic
                          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I managed to get the driveshaft side gear assembly out without pulling the motor. Removed the rear and mid engine mount bolts and loosened the front bolt. Gained enough leeway to get the broken assembly out. The gear I bought off eBay two years ago included that assembly so I bolted that guy in.

EDIT:

I just picked up a replacement gear on eBay for $50. Seller listed it as new condition. Looks great in pictures. Will have it hear in a few days.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2017, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
                              I managed to get the driveshaft side gear assembly out without pulling the motor. Removed the rear and mid engine mount bolts and loosened the front bolt. Gained enough leeway to get the broken assembly out. The gear I bought off eBay two years ago included that assembly so I bolted that guy in.

EDIT:

I just picked up a replacement gear on eBay for $50. Seller listed it as new condition. Looks great in pictures. Will have it hear in a few days.
                              Following along. Are you going to changing the pair of gears or just the broken one?

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                              X