Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not going to attempt the purchase of the 1978 GS1000 with reported low miles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not going to attempt the purchase of the 1978 GS1000 with reported low miles.

I decided that I wanted a bike that was road ready so the potential low low mileage 1978 GS1000 is available. If anybody wants info let me know. These guys are tough to get in touch with and not very knowledgeable. They live in a tiny town in Central Oregon in the middle of the mountains.

Here is some of what I know. The sellers older brother died and he acquired the bike from the estate. The seller sounds old and he knows nothing about bikes and I never actually spoke with him directly. The seller has two other guys helping him sell and neither one of them know a heck of a lot about bikes. The bike was supposedly ridden to its current location in the last year, but they could not get it started before I was to depart. It is supposed to have 1663 miles.

I have contact names, numbers and some pics if anyone in interested.

20170518_082019.jpg

A few pics

20170518_081803.jpg I'll post a few pics

Comment

A few pics

20170518_081653.jpg I wish this was closer to me.

Comment

curious if the seller mentioned an asking price, the bike looks very original including exhausts.
        If the bike cleans up nicely this might be museum/collectors material.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Yes. It's on craigslist, no pic and horrible add, sellers are not computer or cell phone savvy.
          I'm apt to lean towards this being legit and I was very interested but 14 hour drive, etc...
          He was asking $3500 and I asked if he'd take $3000 and he said yes.

Comment

doesn't know a signal thing about motorbikes but DOES know he wants top dollar for a non running bike???? Very smart decision on your part I would say.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by loveipabeer View Post
              Yes. It's on craigslist, no pic and horrible add, sellers are not computer or cell phone savvy.
              I'm apt to lean towards this being legit and I was very interested but 14 hour drive, etc...
              He was asking $3500 and I asked if he'd take $3000 and he said yes.
              $3K for a non-runner? Good luck with that! He must adhere to the P T Barnum theory regarding suckers.

Comment

Apparently they figured out CL's and the bike "starts right up".

Comment

yeah, this bike got posted up for some weeks last fall
                  Looks pretty nice
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                  X