Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First GS 850G For Me

ggggggggg.jpg

This is the first bike that I have ever purchased and owned. 1981 GS 850G, only 19,000 miles. Before this bike I had been riding my dads 1980 Gs850G and honestly I can't find anything wrong with this bike. It takes off like a rocket. The gentleman I bought it off of said that he got it serviced every year. The only thing that I could find wrong when I brought it home was that the battery was a little low on amperage so I had to get a new battery which wasn't that big of a deal. Honestly I believe that the guy I bought this from had no idea what it was. He was rich and he said that he had a Harley and he just bought this for his son to ride with him. I got this bike for $1,200 which I kinda think is a steal considering that the bike is in such great condition. And I am really happy to become a part of this awesome GS family. Since I bought the bike I have been all over this site, so I know a lot more about my bike than I did. Also if there's anybody in the South West New York area that wants to ride let me know.

Another Pic of the bike

IMG_0440.jpgAnother pic of the bike

Comment

Nice motorcycle! Sure looks like a sweetie 👍 Get to know the motorcycle a little bit, then with a few add on goodies it will be like brand new. (Brake lines, fork springs, regulator/rectifier, new tires....) It's easy to spend money on a GS☺
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

That bike sure gets around. Welcome and good luck with it.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Very nice find! Welcome to the site.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Hey I was thinking about replacing the rectifier because I don't want the stock one burning out. Do you know where and what rectifier I should get or what you would recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by jlyon40 View Post
              Hey I was thinking about replacing the rectifier because I don't want the stock one burning out. Do you know where and what rectifier I should get or what you would recommend?
              Great looking bike there!

Poke around in the varius forums, in particular electrical. Read about the sh775 r/r find a good reputable seller on ebay and grab a used one for less than $50.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Actually, it's not the rectifier (or its attached regulator) that burns out. What goes bad is the stator. One of the biggest causes of failure is poor connections in the charging circuit, then next cause of failure is because of the type of R/R (rectifier/regulator) that Suzuki installed.

The current favorite replacement is one for a Polaris RAZR ATV. I have heard that the price on new ones has skyrocketed over the last few months, but the good news is that there are many of those vehicles that are being parted out, for one reason or another, and used R/Rs are available relatively inexpensively on eBay.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok Just to get your opinion on it, do you think that I should get a new R/R. The wiring on my bike looks very clean still and the bike has been garage kept it's entire life. Also my dad has an 80' gs850g and his has over 56,000 miles on it and he has never had a problem with the Charging system or the R/R.

Comment

Ok Just to get your opinion on it, do you think that I should get a new R/R.
                    One of our esteemed members has a very good piece of advice in his signature: "To measure is to know."

In other words, check your voltage to see if you have a problem. If it's still reading strong at all the points it should be, don't worry about it. On the other hand, a quick set of measurements might show the beginning signs of failure and you can head off some problems by replacing the R/R at home, instead of 300 miles away.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Awesome thanks for the input I really appreciate it.

Comment

Even if everything checks out ok, I would go ahead and check all electrical connection points and clean and/or replace.
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                        X