Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identifying some rogue wires

Hello all,

I am currently cleaning up the wiring on my 1977 GS750. Everything is going fairly well, but I have some wire's that have no home at the moment, hoping you can help:

Starting with this picture first, I recognized the white & orange for the brake light switch, which leaves me with 1 random brown wire. It is not the brown wire in the engine start / kill switch:

I think the next two pictures are for hook-ups to a fuse box, but I am seeing NO evidence that this bike ever had one - no spare parts hanging around, no mounting holes in the battery box, so I'm not sure.

I've seen that the partsoutlaw diagram for "electrical" shows a fuse box but I only have 1 fuse in a hard plastic cover on the positive wire heading up to the battery. Any thoughts?

Thanks as always!
    -Rich

1982 GS850GL - WE DID IT! Introduction

Basscliff's website has a factory service manual for your bike. Inside you will find a wiring diagram. The wiring diagram shows the brown wire gets power from the ignition switch and then runs back to the tail light, and it also feeds an accessory bullet connector that should be up in the headlamp shell.

In looking at the wiring diagram for the early 750 there doesn't appear to be a fuse box.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I must be looking at the wrong diagram....I am looking at GS750 (16-valve) Color Wiring Diagram
      -Rich

Comment

Ahhhh, the diagram in the service manual...got it. Wow, this is much better
        -Rich

Comment

So is it really a connector to no where...?

-Rich

Comment

OK, so I have this mostly figured out with the exception one 1 red wire. It routes from the points cover along with a black wire and a white wire. For the life of me I can't find where the red hooks into the harness. It seems to be ignition related though, for the most part everything else is responding when I put the battery in aside from the ignition switch.

Thanks!
            Last edited by RJordan09; 05-21-2017, 12:14 PM.
            -Rich

Comment

Originally posted by RJordan09 View Post
              OK, so I have this mostly figured out with the exception one 1 red wire. It routes from the points cover along with a black wire and a white wire. For the life of me I can't find where the red hooks into the harness. It seems to be ignition related though, for the most part everything else is responding when I put the battery in aside from the ignition switch.

Thanks!
              As you can see from the wiring diagram there should be no red coming from the points, so that's pretty interesting. And yes, there's no fuse box on the '77-'79 750's just single fuse! But, you know it would be a good idea to add one and do the relay upgrades for ignition, coils and headlight at a minimum.
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                As you can see from the wiring diagram there should be no red coming from the points, so that's pretty interesting. And yes, there's no fuse box on the '77-'79 750's just single fuse! But, you know it would be a good idea to add one and do the relay upgrades for ignition, coils and headlight at a minimum.
                For now I'm just trying to validate the current system, then I'll look at upgrades . The "red" wire in question is a bit more on the orange/pink side than the red that runs through from the ignition switch. It definitely seems to be the key to getting the start button to come to life..

It's the wire in the last picture on the post above. You can see it routing in the sleeve with the white wire and black wire.
                -Rich

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                  But, you know it would be a good idea to add one and do the relay upgrades for ignition, coils and headlight at a minimum.
                  Before going through a lot of effort and butchering various parts of the wiring harness, do a few simple checks to see if you have voltage drops to the various circuits. The concept is further muddied up a bit on this bike because there is only one fuse.

If you do have low voltage getting to the various accessories, check the voltage after the ignition key and compare that to battery voltage and the voltage at the accessories. It's quite possible that ONE relay that powers the whole bike will do the job and will be easier, quicker and cheaper to do.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have that same 4-pin connector on my '77 GS750 that doesn't hook up to anything.
                    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                    1977 GS550
                    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

I hope you are spraying Deoxit into your connectors and especially those horrendous but connectors!

Comment

Originally posted by RJordan09 View Post
                        It's the wire in the last picture on the post above. You can see it routing in the sleeve with the white wire and black wire.
                        Open up the points cover and see what the red is connected to...if anything.
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Hmmm....

-Rich

Comment

Hmm indeed, looks fairly legit. Someone on here will know what it is......
                            -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

I think the red is the hot wire that gets spliced to one of the hot wires that feed the coils. It supplies power for the electrinoc ignition to signal the colis to fire. Doesnt look like a Dyna ignition but it does look like the same wire set up I have found on the Dyna kits.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X