Thread: Don't ever trust the PO.. or their mechanic, 82 850GL fork upgrade/repair

Default Don't ever trust the PO.. or their mechanic, 82 850GL fork upgrade/repair

So as planned...kind of... got everything to change out the fork seals and switch to sonic springs. Then as I started taking things apart, I found the valve broken, retainer rusted in place, bad wheel bearings and a left over gremlin from WWII.... yada yada yada. PO had a receipt from a metric mechanic place of business in the Tampa, FL area, for..... $600 fork tune up. He got robbed, nothing was done to the forks, seals were rotted and cracked, valves were broken, oil was from 1988...etc. So I am going to have to post a few entries to get all the pics, the black oil was like molasses when it came out. I had to cut it with mineral spirits to get it to even flow. I found the source of my diving 6 inches at every stop sign. The fix you ask? I had some left over socket cap bolts from a carb rebuild, there were thread left where the schrader screwed in and I tapped it out a little and voila! Temp fix until new valve arrives. Back to POS mechanic and his shady place of business. I will give them credit, they can sync carbs and did a really good job on the electrical....the mechanical ... dudes you guys suck....plain and simple. It is my understanding one of the mechanics is a member on here, I really don't like calling people out, but you ripped ol' boy off...which in turn could have put me in danger while riding. pics to follow. On a good note, the combo of new Hagon shocks and sonic springs .... I am now riding like a caddy. WHOOO HOOOO!!
    019.jpg
    Last edited by Blue Falcon; 05-19-2017 at 09:30 PM.

1981 GS450EX - all done - 98% OEM.... SOLD!!!!
    1982 GS850GLZ - Shaftie - daily rider

After working on jet engines for 20 years...I thought a bike would be easy.
    The Ron Burgundy Effect : Reading or copying whatever is in front of you without any thought or comprehension of what you just read.

Default Fork Oil... he must have used crude oil

020.jpg

bad fork oil, had to cut it with mineral spirits to get it out lol
    Last edited by Blue Falcon; 05-19-2017 at 09:28 PM.

The Ron Burgundy Effect : Reading or copying whatever is in front of you without any thought or comprehension of what you just read.

Here are the new springs next to the old... you can see my fix for the valve on the mat022.jpg