Don't ever trust the PO.. or their mechanic, 82 850GL fork upgrade/repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't ever trust the PO.. or their mechanic, 82 850GL fork upgrade/repair

So as planned...kind of... got everything to change out the fork seals and switch to sonic springs. Then as I started taking things apart, I found the valve broken, retainer rusted in place, bad wheel bearings and a left over gremlin from WWII.... yada yada yada. PO had a receipt from a metric mechanic place of business in the Tampa, FL area, for..... $600 fork tune up. He got robbed, nothing was done to the forks, seals were rotted and cracked, valves were broken, oil was from 1988...etc. So I am going to have to post a few entries to get all the pics, the black oil was like molasses when it came out. I had to cut it with mineral spirits to get it to even flow. I found the source of my diving 6 inches at every stop sign. The fix you ask? I had some left over socket cap bolts from a carb rebuild, there were thread left where the schrader screwed in and I tapped it out a little and voila! Temp fix until new valve arrives. Back to POS mechanic and his shady place of business. I will give them credit, they can sync carbs and did a really good job on the electrical....the mechanical ... dudes you guys suck....plain and simple. It is my understanding one of the mechanics is a member on here, I really don't like calling people out, but you ripped ol' boy off...which in turn could have put me in danger while riding. pics to follow. On a good note, the combo of new Hagon shocks and sonic springs .... I am now riding like a caddy. WHOOO HOOOO!!
    019.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2017, 09:30 PM.

Fork Oil... he must have used crude oil

020.jpg

bad fork oil, had to cut it with mineral spirits to get it out lol
    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2017, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Here are the new springs next to the old... you can see my fix for the valve on the mat022.jpg

Comment

That's bad.....
        I'd love to find new caps that were w/o the air valve...

Comment

You know that you can post links to up to ten pictures per post?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X