Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 gs850gl 14.5 volts at idle. Drops when rpms go up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well since I can't get my bike to fire properly I will have to put this on hold.
    Going to do a compression check. Changed plug and wire and still not right. I had to turn air screw to 3 3/4 turns to get it to fire.
    Also ordered a 3 phase compufire r/r and will install that and get back to everyone.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2017, 01:25 AM. Reason: Clarification on r/r

Comment

Alrighty it's been a while, having to wait on parts then time. Then more waiting on parts.

My problem is no longer.
      I installed the 3 phase Compu fire r/r and did some rewiring. No more battery issues. I have not checked the Volts again since but as my battery is staying charged I haven't made the time to do it.
      I also installed coil relay mod and Dyna S ignition. Runs pretty good. Not like a top yet but close.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Also do the quick test as dropping voltage is associated with dirty connections as well. Fuse boxes are always suspect.
        I've seen several references to "dirty connections" on these threads. My bike has an issue with overheated wiring (and especially the bullet connectors). I've thought about polishing them up with fine steel wool, then coating them with a light coat of grease. Does that sound like a valid fix?

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
          I've seen several references to "dirty connections" on these threads. My bike has an issue with overheated wiring (and especially the bullet connectors). I've thought about polishing them up with fine steel wool, then coating them with a light coat of grease. Does that sound like a valid fix?
          No...........

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
            I am maybe the only one that has few troubles with the OEM bullet connectors themselves but the wire attached can be frayed as they get pushed together and pulled apart too often or if they are loose fits...I would investigate your hot connections very closely. Maybe with a magnifier? or troubleshoot electricals...check your wiring overall.

but that said(all about Me ? , YOU can clean them up with special solvents...DeOxit? Naval Jelly?

or a trick I learned from a member here: a little pill bottle with: 1) a solution of vinegar+salt 2) neutralized with Baking soda and water 3)water rinsed again...

lastly you can smear a bit of silicone-based electrical isolant on them...various names found in auto stores and mostly intended for battery terminals. I don't always bother with this unless I am having repeated troubles...places where "road-spray" gets into like maybe the horn or however happens on your bike
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-13-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Also if you have a soldering iron go through and add solder to the cleaned connectors to help keep them clean

Comment

Working...
              X