Brake Line KIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Line KIT

Have been looking for replacement brake line kit.

Want to avoid having to specify every detail of length, fitting, angle, rotation and such.
    Looking for a kit for 82 GS1100GK.
    (would be same as GS1100G I think except the front forks are about an inch wider apart, if that effects the hose length, but would think not).

Spiegler doesnt list any GSes, and Galfer doesnt list a GS1100G (does have have the 90s GSX1100G).
    THe only APex I can find is automotive.

Any words of wisdom....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

I called the toll free number at Rennsport and told them which bike I had. They asked if there were any mods, which there haven't been, and knew how long each line needed to be and which fittings to install on them. A few days later they arrived. Fit perfectly and look nice too. Just remove them one at a time, compare the length and fittings with the new ones, and heat with a hair dryer to straighten them out a bit or make sharp bends.

I'd suggest giving them a call. Prices are reasonable and product is nice.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Galfer lists the 1983 1100, I found it through the Galfer listing on Pashnit at http://www.pashnit.com/product/galfer/brake_lines.html

GS 1100
      FK003D696-5
      FK003D696R
      GS1100 ET
      80-83
      FK003D375-3
      FK003D375R
      N/A

GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Rennsport, that's the name I was thinking of... Pretty ecomical way to go. They don't advertise motorcycle brake lines, but they seem to know all the dimensions...
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

ah-Haa
          Rennsport carrys Apex brand.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Rennsport provided mine. The rear line was way too long for my 1100g, but the replaced quick as a flash.
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

ah, Charley, I remembered someone saying that, probably was you.

Way too long you say. So maybe I should take some meaasurment for the rear line, and specify that.
              And I have half a memory that is something diffent about GK rear brake line from the G anyway. Caliper is on top of disc, toward the rear, bango fitting is on the bottom of calliper.

Comment

Now that you guys mention it, my rear line was too long as well. I used it without any problems though. It just goes a little past the caliper and makes a 180 degree bend back. May look a bit funky, just didn't want to wait for a replacement.

Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Emailed Rennsport the other day. No responce yet (MOnday evening).

I measured my rear line, at about 25 inches.
                  Hey, Charley.....Hey, ROger, .... I noticed that it comes off the top of the master cyclinder, and goes horizontal FORWARD, then down to the swing arm, then back to master cylinder.
                  If had did not notice that or if were to forget, I suppose I would be inclined to run the line straight back, and that would be a shorter length ....

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Emailed Rennsport the other day. No responce yet (MOnday evening).

I measured my rear line, at about 25 inches.
                    Hey, Charley.....Hey, ROger, .... I noticed that it comes off the top of the master cyclinder, and goes horizontal FORWARD, then down to the swing arm, then back to master cylinder.
                    If had did not notice that or if were to forget, I suppose I would be inclined to run the line straight back, and that would be a shorter length ....
                    The line doesn't route cleanly when you start it back. That's why they loop forward.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I went in the garage and found the one they sent. It's 36" long and maybe I could have used it if I had done the 180 degree loop Roger did, but I wouldn't have liked it that way. The length I specified as a replacement appears to be about 30", although I think 27-28" would have been a better fit. My line is installed as you describe Dave, off the top of the master cylinder and bending down and rearward to the swing arm. My caliper is as shown in Roger picture. I would think 25" would have been a bit tight to work on mine. Double check for yourself. I used up some excess line by having a big loop forward touching the engine mounting bolt location. I used some of the old rubber protection tubing to protect the lines as they go through various metal clamps and pivot points.
                      Last edited by Charlie G; 05-22-2017, 09:33 PM.
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        The line doesn't route cleanly when you start it back. That's why they loop forward.
                        Yes, the reserviour is in the way.
                        And, going forward, then down; the route is closer to the pivot point of the swing arm.

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                        I went in the garage and found the one they sent. It's 36" long and maybe I could have used it if I had done the 180 degree loop Roger did, but I wouldn't have liked it that way. The length I specified as a replacement appears to be about 30", although I think 27-28" would have been a better fit. ......
                        THanks. Yah, my measurment was a bit hurried. THanks for the info.

Comment

I just measured the rear line and mine is 35 1/2". I could have run it forward from the master cylinder a bit more as there is still about an inch and a half before the air box but not enough to avoid the loop in the back. I elected to bend as tightly as possible up top, almost touching the cross brace on the frame as it turns rearward leaving enough length to make the loop in back as not to kink it. The 180 loop winds up behind the muffler and concealed by the vetter bags. I'll bet on the GK you won't see it unless you're looking for it. A 28" line would have been very tight on mine. Going straight to the caliper avoiding that loop 29" would be perfect.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

I used Galfer - they have a custom shop - at least they did 7 or 8 years ago. I sent them my old ones and they recreated them in braided lines.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                            X