Carb i.d. help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb i.d. help!

O.k. here goes. I bought a 79 gs750 a few years back with a moddified motor. Its running a wiseco 844 kit with Andrews SII cams and a ported head. The motor runs like a beast, and now that I'm ready to put it back into the bike after being stored for a few years I'm going over the usual stuff to get her ready to run again. Last week my new o-rings came in. Tonight I decided to rebuild the carbs. As soon as I pulled the top caps I knew something was different. I've rebuilt carbs from a few gs750s in the past, and while my memory isn't what it used to be, I'm pretty sure there should only be one screw for adjusting the needle height on the vm26 carbs that were used on the first generation gs750s but these carbs have two. The only I.d. numbers I can find are Z12 00. The z12 is above the 00 and the numbers are on the flange where they should be. Does anyone know what these are from? They look like vm26 carbs.
    The inlet measures 26.75mm 20170520_213332.jpg

Well, we are going to have to straighten out some terminology here.

1. You don't measure the carb size by the inlet, but by the outlet, the side closest to the engine.
    2. Neither one of those screws adjusts the needle height. The one on the right (with the locknut) adjusts the synchronization with the other throttle slides. I have no idea what the second screw does.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry, outlet is 26.75.

Comment

By all appearances on the outside they look just like any set of vm26 carbs that I have had. In thinking they may be from a kawasaki, but the z in the I.d. number is throwing me for a loop

Comment

Originally posted by Danb4563 View Post
          By all appearances on the outside they look just like any set of vm26 carbs that I have had. In thinking they may be from a kawasaki, but the z in the I.d. number is throwing me for a loop
          I don't know anything about that style of carburetor but the first couple of hits I pulled up when I did a Google search indicated an old Kawasaki 900 bike
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

these do not look like Suzuki VM26SS carbs i know, those have another slide arm like this :

s-l225.jpg

Kawa's had the arms like your slides have, and two fuel t pieces like yours has iirc.
            No pumpers on the bottom ?
            Last edited by Rijko; 05-21-2017, 07:21 AM.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

hope your measurement is off and you are looking at 29mm Kwak smoothbores !
              The slide lift arm looks the same.

Do they have a drain pipe or a 17mm bolt on the float bowl, a square hole on the side
              of the carbs maybe ?

Last edited by Rijko; 05-21-2017, 07:33 AM.
              Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

Comment

They have the drainpipe, not the bolt, and I too wish they were 29s but I'm pretty sure they aren't. I'm leaning towards them being kwak carbs as well.

Comment

can you post some better pictures, from the sides and rear (air box side)
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    can you post some better pictures, from the sides and rear (air box side)
                    Here goes
                    20170521_134618.jpg

Comment

20170521_134654.jpgand the next one

Comment

20170521_134644.jpg and one more

Comment

interesting stuff .. may help you determine what's what.
                          Also differences in throttle slides.

image_2014-03-17.jpg

found at https://www.kzrider.com/forum/3-carb...th-header-pods

I have a choice of two sets of carbs to use. One set is from a 78 Kz1000 Ltd, the other is from a 79 kz1000 ltd. The 79 has an air screw, the 78 has a pilot screw. As well the slide/needle arrangements differ (see pic attached). The unit on the left is from the 79,the one on the right is from the 78.

I think I'll use the 78 set as it uses a pilot screw to meter fuel rather than the 79 that uses an air screw. The 78 jet needle # is 5DL31. I believe the #1 indicates the clip should be in the 1st groove from the bottom, is that so? And if I use the Yoshimura exhaust and pods, which clip groove should I use?
                          Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                          Bikecliff's website
                          The Stator Papers

Comment

I see 2 fuel inlets, between 1 & 2 and 3 & 4. My carbs have a single inlet between 2 and 3.

I have know idea what that means however.
                            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                              I see 2 fuel inlets, between 1 & 2 and 3 & 4. My carbs have a single inlet between 2 and 3.

I have know idea what that means however.
                              That's right. There is no passage drilled for the fuel to pass from #2-#3. You can clearly see where is would be drilled, there is even an indentation, but no hole. I am thinking of drilling the passage so I can run a single fuel line rather than splitting it.

Comment

Working...
                              X