Simple Question - Battery Band / Holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Question - Battery Band / Holder

The bike is a '81 850GL basket case that's coming back to life. The battery holder is stock with the battery band hooking under a lip at the back. What does the band hang onto at the front?

I looked at the schematics for battery and electrics but don't see anything but the band.

Front of the battery box
    s-l1600.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2017, 02:38 PM. Reason: Add photo

on my 81 gs650 the band on the front is to hold it from falling out when the bike is leaned over. Put the box and battery in the bike, and then fine the clips to hook the band onto, should literally be next to the battery on either side. IF you really can't figure it out, put the battery in, put the band across the front and see if it has anything to hook on to that's close the length of the band.

Comment

Well, I did all that and I can't figure it out. The pic shows the front of the battery box. Where on that pic of the front of the box does the battery band attach? There isn't any lip there, only on the back. The band is to keep the battery from bouncing around and cracking or breaking on the inside as well as the outside.

Comment

There is a plate that bolts to the front (actually the left side) of the battery box. It holds the starter solenoid, fuse box and the ignitor. At the top of that plate is the hook for the battery strap.

It's item #17 on the ELECTRICAL fiche. ( click link)

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you, sir. I didn't understand how it fit together cuz I'm working my way thru the electrics right now (only found one broken wire...the rest look surprisingly good). The fuse box plate is on my work bench for re-assembly...so I didn't yet put 2 and 2 together (no pun intended). That's enough for me for the day. Thanks again! Much appreciated.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2017, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X