One coil not firing on 96 or 97 katana engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One coil not firing on 96 or 97 katana engine

Hello everyone this is a little different than I normally would put out there but maybe someone can help me out. I have put a katana engine into a go kart over the last couple of weeks and everything was going great until yesterday. I have made my own wiring harness just the basics to make it run using the stock fuse block, ignitor, and coils. Day before yesterday I was testing things and it wouldn't start so I did a little looking and I had reversed the positive and negative on the ignitor. I swapped them back to the correct position and the bike fired right up I put everything away for the night and yesterday when I wanted to start it again so I could actually take it for a test ride it would only run on 2 cylinders, number 2&3 the other 2 cylinders are not firing at all and the coil is getting warm, the coil for 2&3 is cool to the touch and working fine. I swapped the signal wires on the coil and made sure it would fire and it did. I have used 2 ignitors swapped coils and tested the ohms on the coil and everything checked out good the ignitor I swapped into the engine was a good one that I pulled from a running bike. The only thing I haven't checked is the signal generator is it possible that it is only telling one coil to fire and not the other or a wire in it burned or is causing a constant ground which is making the coil get warm? Any help is appreciated. Btw I know my harness is properly wired up I pulled everything from the diagram and it's not my first one I've made , I will however go through it today to make sure nothing is grounding where it's not supposed to

Signal generator has been tested and passed with 167 ohms in a range of 135 to 200. The coil itself is a good and has constant power where it should I used an ignitor from a running bike after I thought that was the problem and it's doing the same thing coil gets hot and doesn't spark

Comment

Are the coils mounted properly
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
        Are the coils mounted properly
        They were not mounted properly no, originally they are directly bolted to the frame so I assumed they needed to be grounded so they were zip tied above the engine and I ran a ground wire and bolted it to the mounting point of the coil. it was grounded properly. The whole issue was in fact the signal generator even though it was giving a good reading I finally pulled one out of a spare engine and mounted into the go cart and it started firing right away. Now it runs great with no issue. I have to wrap the wiring and mount the coils and battery box up properly and we will be good to go. I did attempt to ride it yesterday but as soon as I started to let the clutch out my jackshaft bent so its back to the drawing board with that one! thanks anyways guys

Comment

What no pics of a Katana powered kart? Video of test ride?
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Lol I can't put up a video of it riding since the jackshaft broke but I will try to put up a pic it's still pretty ugly right now.IMG_20170522_194954.jpgIMG_20170522_194954.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X