What are these wires for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are these wires for?

I am finding some non-standard wiring on my 83 750E. These wires are branching off of the main harness and are just capped off with shrink tubing. Any idea what they are for? They don't go to the R/R, as that is connected.

I found this too. It looks like someone tapped into this blue wire, and then decided to cut it and tape the end.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

The yellow wires look like your Stator wires, has it got a regulator on it still. Blue wire ��
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Well, they look like stator wires. I do have stator wires running from the starter cavity to the R/R as they should be. These wires are coming out of the main harness under the tank.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Yes, they do look like stator wires. Maybe someone cut the originals and wired the new stator directly to the R/R?

The blue wire puzzles me. There are very few blue wires on the bike, let alone LIGHT blue and with a white stripe.
        The only light blue wire (no stripe) that I know of is the control wire from the Turn Signal Flasher to the switch on the left handlebar.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The 16v EF I had had the same strange wiring for the stator where it went into the harness before it made it's way to the RR. Sounds like you've had that bypassed (good move).

No idea on the blue wire.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
          X