Where to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to?

Hey im new on here and doing my first cafe/brat project on a 1981 GS1000. I cant get the starter button to work but when the solenoid is jumped it functions perfectly. I also have these 3 wires that were cut. Any suggestions?KIMG0085.jpg

welcome! Is there a ground on the solenoid? I had to ground my solenoid before I could get the starter button to turn over the engine. I could jump the posts all day long on the solenoid with no issues. BikeCliff's site has tons info: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ also make sure you introduce yourself in the owners forum. Im not sure on the cut wires on your specific bike. I know on my 83 Yellow/Green is for the Clutch Safety switch. BikeCliff's site has most of the wireing diagrams that you would need as well. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 81BratShafty View Post
      Hey im new on here and doing my first cafe/brat project on a 1981 GS1000. I cant get the starter button to work but when the solenoid is jumped it functions perfectly. I also have these 3 wires that were cut. Any suggestions?[ATTACH=CONFIG]51110[/ATTACH]

If you have a stock starter solenoid, the mounting bracket is the ground, but what it's mounted to may not have a good connection to ground. You may also have a bad solenoid. If you remove it and all wires and put the mount on the negative post of the battery and touch the Y/G wire to the positive post you should hear a clicking noise. That is the plate making contact with the underside of the battery and starter wire posts. Know this that a well used solenoid may still make a clicking noise and still not make contact for the power to flow to the starter. Carbon builds up over time inside the solenoid and may be blocking a good contact.

Not sure but the stock stator wires are the colors of two of those cut wires. Looking at the down loadable wire diagram from Bikecliffs page those two wires are the ones that used to go to the starter button. Someone apparently already did the mod and bypassed those wire and wired the stator directly to the R/R.

Last edited by gsrick; 05-23-2017, 02:02 PM.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
      X