Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 holes in steering head under VIN sticker???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 holes in steering head under VIN sticker???

Can I use plain old electrical solder to seal these? Anyone think that would be a problem for powder coating? I mean solder conducts electricity, so the powder should stick, right?

Frame is stripped for powder, and I wasn't planning on reattaching the VIN sticker because it's trashed. They look like they're supposed to be there...as in perfectly spaced, drilled holes about a millimeter in diameter.

I don't want open holes with water, etc. getting in there. I noticed these after I got the frame back from my welder. I don't have a welding set up, and don't plan on buying one any time soon...

There's always JB Weld, but I don't think powder would stick to that.

Are they there because the VIN plate was riveted on for some models or something?
    sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Believe it or not, powder coat does stick to JB weld. I powder coated my headlight ears with a Harbor Freight cheapo setup. The ears had a lot of rust pitting, so I sandblasted them and filled the pits with the JB weld. Sand smooth and apply powder. BTW, I learned this trick on a powder coat forum.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Yes, the VIN plates used to be rivetted. You can still buy replacement plates or stickers if you want to go down that route.
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
        Yes, the VIN plates used to be rivetted. You can still buy replacement plates or stickers if you want to go down that route.
        I've seen them done up, but in UK specs....got a US spec lead for us Yanks?{hint- we spell it as "tires" over here...no "Y"...why{Y}?...IDK, we have to be different I guess-lol}

Comment

I'm not sure what differences there are between US and UK spec plates, but I'd try www.bdesigns.ca or www.khneisser.ch
          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
            I'm not sure what differences there are between US and UK spec plates, but I'd try www.bdesigns.ca or www.khneisser.ch
            US versions would need to be cycle weight in pounds...not kilos, wheel/tire dimensions in inches, not centimeters...fuel tank capacity in gallons, not liters.... tire pressure in psi, not npsm{?}...{some tags have more info and some less}.
            The tag engine displacement would still be in CC's here though...

Comment

Originally posted by Sam 78 GS750 View Post
              Can I use plain old electrical solder to seal these? Anyone think that would be a problem for powder coating?
              I think you may have issues with the solder melting during the powder coat cure, depending on the details of what powder coating material and what solder.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

drill them out and make grease nipples. one option

Comment

Working...
                X