broke yoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broke yoke

Took off side bag to look at brake line.... found this.

Oh! Crap ! < < near panic > >

What does that ? What is the problem?

Seems recent. THe recently exposed surface looks clean, and can see new brake wear on rotor looks recent in that off position.

But.... But.... But.... What is the problem, other than that thing is broke....?

okay, calming down.
    Get another one.
    Replace it.
    Have had that apart many times to replace rear tire etcetera.

Has been a long while sine I had rear wheel off.

WHat is this thing called?, for me to find one on ebay.
    Need to find one in a week or so.

Is there some other terrible problem I should be aware of.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Hey Dave. I don't know how that broke but it's the second one I've seen. Another member, Raygun, bought one from my parts bike (81 850) for his GS 1100 L. If it helps to know you're not alone doing that. Wish I had one to send to you, sorry. At least it looks fairly recent. The break is not covered in road crud.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Yikes. When I recently had the rear wheel off of my 1150, the torque arm / calIper were siezed together.
      I wonder if that may be a cause for stress on the bracket.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'll repeat/follow here...front mount for the torque rod ok?...bolts ok?

Edit...now to lighten the mood and he's far enough away that he can't smack me......................did you go over the speedo's 85mph limit?!
        Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I have one Dave. I can have it in the mail tomorrow. Here's a quick picture of the part. It came of a 82 1100e it should be the same... I'll even clean it for you. Haha
          Attached Files
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Norm, Man, you are quick. Thanks. Picture even.
            But, I owe you too much already... har har har

>>later note:
            Looks pretty much the same.
            But I see part number for 82 1100E is different, and the sketch on microfische looks different (I know could just be a different guy that sketched it, and chose to follow different details).
            THanks for including picture, with the scale there. Looks like about 3 1/4 hole center-center. Mine measures more like 3.0 center to center, but I am measureing from centers of bolt heads.
            SO, unless you really know is the same, or comparable . . . . .
            Last edited by Redman; 05-23-2017, 08:22 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Have been doing some looking.
              For 82 GK that is Caliper Bracket 69721-47001.
              Same part number for 82 850G, and 850GL and 650G, and 80 850G. (THat was enough to tell me is a somewhat common part.)

Comment

No, problem Dave. You can put in for me for the "pizza slaughter" at the rally... Also like Bob said, check the torque arm and where it mounts on the swing arm. Make sure there's no issues there.
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                  I'll repeat/follow here...front mount for the torque rod ok?...bolts ok?

Edit...now to lighten the mood and he's far enough away that he can't smack me......................did you go over the speedo's 85mph limit?!
                  Torque bar front mount bolt Okay.
                  Axle seems okay both sides.
                  Wheel spins okay.
                  CAnt push caliper down into place, cant push caliper back into place. (Probably have to loosen axle nut for that).
                  Not over 85 lately hee hee hee, ... was this time last fall, following a goofy bike on the highway that had cyclinders sticking out both sides....

Although I did concider using synthetic gear oil in shaft drive. Maybe just the thought of that was too much.

okay, I have calmed down.
                  Get another one, somehow, and replace it. (in 13 days).

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Norm, Man, you are quick. Thanks. Picture even.
                    But, I owe you too much already... har har har

>>later note:
                    Looks pretty much the same.
                    But I see part number for 82 1100E is different, and the sketch on microfische looks different (I know could just be a different guy that sketched it, and chose to follow different details).
                    THanks for including picture, with the scale there. Looks like about 3 1/4 hole center-center. Mine measures more like 3.0 center to center, but I am measureing from centers of bolt heads.
                    SO, unless you really know is the same, or comparable . . . . .
                    I have one off an 82 650g you can have for shipping. I checked part # on Alpha and it's the same. Shoot me a PM if you want it.
                    Last edited by Charlie G; 05-23-2017, 08:48 PM.
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Have been searching Ebay.

Startted with "(GS1100G, GS850G) rear axle".
                      Was thinking that sometimes see the axle and asscociated parts, and someone might list this part using the word "axle".
                      Found lots of axles, but, Nope, didnt see any of the brakets/yoke/mount.

Then tried "(GS1100G, GS850G) rear caliper".
                      Found lots of calipers, and some had the bracket... and found a few "caliper brackets" and some "Caliper mounts".
                      Found one in SOuth Carolina for less than $10 B-I-N including shipping.
                      Then found another in Wisconson for $9 B-I-N including shipping.
                      Will see which I receive first. Both said May 31st.

Dern, I will have the time this weekend, but not the next weekend.
                      But glad I found it while still have some time before BC.

Comment

hey dave, bit of a longshot, but have you checked out all-brands cycles here in muskegon? bring a flashlight....
                        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                          hey dave, bit of a longshot, but have you checked out all-brands cycles here in muskegon? bring a flashlight....
                          Ew, that place west of downtown, kinda like in a big industrial building...?
                          I will do a search for it. I know just what tools needed to harvest one (lot easier on something other than a GK.)

Man, this bad habit of going to work 5 & 6 days a week sure is interfering with other stuff I want to do.

>>later note
                          Okay got an address
                          3773 S Sheridan Dr; Muskegon, Michigan 49444
                          way different place than I was thinking.
                          Am checking it out.
                          THanks.
                          Last edited by Redman; 05-23-2017, 10:59 PM.

Comment

It is right across from the Y in muskegon. Kind of an interesting place, hours are....variable. Not even sure he is still there. Not sure that sheridan addy is right... I know what you mean about work. Between my actual job and my home-work projects and kids I have just enough time to take a deep breath.

edit: I did hear a couple years ago of a planned move, so....maybe that happened?
                            Last edited by greg78gs750; 05-24-2017, 09:32 AM.
                            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                              It is right across from the Y in muskegon. .....
                              That is the place I was thinking of... but has been a few years. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X