broke yoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems that all is in order.
    (loose pinch bolt and missing caliper bolt are part of my disassembly)

Man, does it get grungy there behind the sidebags when ride in rain or go on dirt roads.

Only thing I can find suspect, other than worn thin brake pads, is the broken bracket

Does look like it all broke at once. (dark area is a greasy finger smudge).
    Last edited by Redman; 05-24-2017, 10:05 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Come on, Dave, a little JB Weld, some black Krylon, put the saddlebag back on and it will be JUST FINE.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Come on, Dave, a little JB Weld, some black Krylon, put the saddlebag back on and it will be JUST FINE.

You and I have a different opinion there. In my opinion there is little need to paint it.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Torque bar front mount bolt Okay.
          Axle seems okay both sides.
          Wheel spins okay.
          CAnt push caliper down into place, cant push caliper back into place. (Probably have to loosen axle nut for that).
          Not over 85 lately hee hee hee, ... was this time last fall, following a goofy bike on the highway that had cyclinders sticking out both sides....

Although I did concider using synthetic gear oil in shaft drive. Maybe just the thought of that was too much.

okay, I have calmed down.
          Get another one, somehow, and replace it. (in 13 days).

Yeah, I highly doubt it was anything to do with 85mph...that was just a laugh for you to take the edge off.
          It just strikes me odd that the caliper can hike up that much w/o a bolt...I'd figure the torque arm would be tight/short enough on it to keep it from doing that. Makes me want to loose my front caliper bolt just to see if it'll do the same.
          Maybe it was just time/fatigue....maybe a small rock got wedged in over the rotor and pads just enough to pop it....maybe that side winder bike aimed some bad juju towards you.......idk?

Comment

How dare a part only last 35 years..... junk I tell ya....
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

On dissasembly, did not find anything else obvious out-of-kilter, other than outboard brake pad worn thin while inboard brake pad looked to be only half worn, maybe that is indicative of something.

and the rear mount bolt was not tight, wasnt real loose but wasnt tight either, did not have to grunt to break it loose, maybe that can impart some strange forces on the front part of that bracket.

Comment

A slider caliper being off worn can indicate a sliding issue...these calipers are opposed singles...maybe a restriction between halves...maybe a piston is hanging up enough in back to have lessor wear.......Idk.
                What's the torque spec for those bolts?...manuals away from me. I'd think they should be fairly tight...I'd question why it wasn't.
                Not knowing how much of a difference there was between pad thickness' I'd wonder if the caliper arm was tweeking every time the brakes were hit...I'd expect more even wear in a situation like that...you'd almost have to unless there's a slidding arm to compensate for "major" uneven pad wear.
                Hey...do your self a favor Sir...go check torque on your front caliper bolts too....ya never know....once is too many times, I think.....

Comment

Good idea.
                  Checked torque requirement.
                  Intersting that for GK is somethinkg like 28 - 32 ft lbs, other models something like 26 - 30, but it is the same componets.

Comment

Hey hey, I got a good ebay seller.
                    He got part shipped out the next day (from Minnesota), and arrived here 2nd day after that (today) .

Mo' better now.

Just waiting for brake pads now.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Hey hey, I got a good ebay seller.
                      He got part shipped out the next day (from Minnesota), and arrived here 2nd day after that (today) .

Mo' better now.

Just waiting for brake pads now.
                      Excellent!
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                      X