GS850G Runs no lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Runs no lights

I just picked up a GS850G, the brake light works with either the front brake or the rear brake activated. How ever head light running light and directionals are not working all fuses are good. Maybe I'm missing an in line fuse somewhere. But I don't believe there are in line fuses. Again the bike runs and I have lights on the cluster ,oil pressure,neutral,ect.

Originally posted by Odinsman72 View Post
    I just picked up a GS850G, the brake light works with either the front brake or the rear brake activated. How ever head light running light and directionals are not working all fuses are good. Maybe I'm missing an in line fuse somewhere. But I don't believe there are in line fuses. Again the bike runs and I have lights on the cluster ,oil pressure,neutral,ect.
    Just a thought and more than likely not, but I'd remove the headlight and check the connection of the wires. Just about everything is stuffed in there.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Have you checked both high and low beams on the headlight?

Here's a link to a GS850 wiring diagram:http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ring_color.gif

Without knowing what year it's hard to tell which specific diagram would be correct but most years are very similar.

Here's a link to a very good site with diagrams and manuals you can use:http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Do you still have the tube style fuses? If so, how did you check them? Using just a visual check can be misleading as they are known to break under the caps and not just in the middle
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

What year? (maybe put that in your sig line).
          REason I ask is if 81 or prior that has the glass fuses, those especailly can look good, but can be bad were cant see.
          You just said fuses are god. Did not say how you concluded that. With eyeballs or with a meter.

Really need a meter to troubleshoot electrical problem. (or maybe a test light probe).
          Measure voltage at the fuse, and comming out of the fuse block, and at the headlight bulb socket.

When measure at headlight socket, do measure hi and low (yellow wire, white wire) with meter negative on the ground wire there (blk/wht), and again on frame ground. Problem could be loss of the ground there at headlight.

DO tell us more.
          Plenty of folks here willing to help (and most of them do know what they are talking about).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I have a similar problem on my 1979 Gs850. Everything was great until yesterday. Re-started after a ride home from work and I had no signal lights. Further investigation revealed no head light, tail light, dash lights. The oil light and neutral lights were on but the oil light went out after I touched some wires trying to track things down. I did a visual check of the fuses and they looked good but I will put a meter on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
              I have a similar problem on my 1979 Gs850. Everything was great until yesterday. Re-started after a ride home from work and I had no signal lights. Further investigation revealed no head light, tail light, dash lights. The oil light and neutral lights were on but the oil light went out after I touched some wires trying to track things down. I did a visual check of the fuses and they looked good but I will put a meter on them.
              If you are still running with the older glass tube type than they can break under the caps where you can't see them. Using a test light will help even more so than a meter
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
              X