fork oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork oil

Hey Cats. Me again. Suzuki manual states "Suzuki #15" fork oil. Assuming this means 15 weight oil ? Am I correct? Also any thoughts on synthetic fork oil vs conventional? Thanks again Cats appreciate your help

I can not guarantee that is what they meant, as they might have had numbers that really meant nothing in the real world.

Also note that some manuals had you mixing 50/50 ratios of 30w engine oil and Automatic Transmission Fluid.

In today's situation, many will be running 15w fork oil, with good results. Since you are changing the oil, is there any chance that you have replaced the springs, as well?

SPRINGS are what really makes the difference in the ride. If you replace your worn-out 30+ year old springs with something that has enough oomph to actually hold up the front of the bike, you could even use 10w oil for a nice, smooth ride that also keeps the front wheel on the ground.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Probably more information than you're looking for....
      -1980 GS1100 LT
      -1975 Honda cb750K
      -1972 Honda cl175
      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
        Probably more information than you're looking for....
        http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/ind...spension_Fluid
        Thanks, Tom. Not sure if that is the report that I saw several years ago, but some time back, I learned that oil "weights" are not consistent. That article mentions that one company's 7w is actually lighter than another company's 5w, which shows the importance of picking an oil, then sticking with that company when you decide to make any changes. Hoping, at least, that their line of oils relate to each other, if not to those of other companies.

As an example, if you have BelRay 15w now and want something lighter, a move to Maxima 10w might not get you what you want. Maxima 10w might be close to BelRay 15w or it might be close to BelRay 5w. It might even be close to BelRay 10w, but you really don't know, so stick with BelRay and eliminate at least one variable.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Thanks, Tom. Not sure if that is the report that I saw several years ago, but some time back, I learned that oil "weights" are not consistent. That article mentions that one company's 7w is actually lighter than another company's 5w, which shows the importance of picking an oil, then sticking with that company when you decide to make any changes.
          This is something I didn't realize, thanks for the tip.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Thanks for the info Guys. I am going to go with 15 BelRay to start.

Comment

Working...
            X