Dual-Sport tires for an 82 GS650GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual-Sport tires for an 82 GS650GL?

I was looking for some dual tires for my 1982 GS650GL. Nothing too aggressive, as I am by no means trying to make this thing into a MX wannabe, but there are a fair amount of gravel hard-pack trails to ride here in the Midwest, so I was hoping to take advantage of that situation. I've tried to wrap my head around the different tire sizes, but I guess where I get lost at is how much wiggle room I have between height and width. I believe my stocks sizes are 100/90-19 front and a 130/90-16 rear. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-S.

I spend lots of time on gravel/ dirt roads. I'm running with shinko 712s front and rear . The rear has nice bite on loose surfaces, but still handles safely on the pavement. But ,this thing @ 480 lbs ain't no dirt bike, so be careful.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Just had some Conti TKC70's mounted on my beater...

I've ridden 50 or so miles on them in gravel and really like them. They do sing just a little bit on pavement but perform better than I do....
      Last edited by 81ZUKI75; 05-27-2017, 04:00 PM.
      sigpic
      1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
      2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post
        Just had some Conti TKC70's mounted on my beater...

I've ridden 50 or so miles on them in gravel and really like them. They do sing just a little bit on pavement but perform better than I do....
        Wow, define "beater".
        Alan

sigpic
        Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
        Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
        Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by _Scotty_ View Post
          I was looking for some dual tires for my 1982 GS650GL. Nothing too aggressive, as I am by no means trying to make this thing into a MX wannabe, but there are a fair amount of gravel hard-pack trails to ride here in the Midwest, so I was hoping to take advantage of that situation. I've tried to wrap my head around the different tire sizes, but I guess where I get lost at is how much wiggle room I have between height and width. I believe my stocks sizes are 100/90-19 front and a 130/90-16 rear. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-S.
          Shinko makes quality dual purpose tires, but I think your tire/wheel sizes are going to cause a lot of heartburn. The 19" front is ok, that is the same size as the Suzuki V-Strom runs, but your 16" rear wheel is a problem. You may have to take what you can get on that one.

Originally posted by AMK View Post
          Wow, define "beater".
          I was thinking the same thing.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

...Sometimes, I think I was better off in 1974 with a ribbed front tire and a traction-type rear ... seemed like I could go anywhere even if not awful fast...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              ...Sometimes, I think I was better off in 1974 with a ribbed front tire and a traction-type rear ... seemed like I could go anywhere even if not awful fast...
              I also have a 1974 GT750 which lead me to this old movie.
              Your remark made me think of this movie, just thought it is fun to watch !

Last edited by Rijko; 05-29-2017, 01:27 PM.
              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I'm looking at the same mod, here's what I found... front tire, back tire 1, back tire 2

Comment

Working...
                X