Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong seat? (GS1000G -80)

Hi everyone,

I'm restoring this 1980 GS1000G and have been wondering this gap between seat and rear fairing.
    Fairing is sitting perfectly so I have started to suspect the seat being replaced.
    There are no visible part numbers to be seen in seat.

I tried to attach pic of the situation. Hope it works.

Kimi
    Attached Files

Another picture

better view of the seat.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks fairly normal for these seats, there's always gaps at the back. Other than the seat being over stuffed it looks sorta normal. A picture of the underside would confirm it's the correct seat pan.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The seat pans are not very stiff so if anyone used the seat grab handle as a lifting point or what have you the pan could have gotten bent. Typically when that happens the seat kicks up in the back though, and the photo doesn't show that. At any rate, as Rob mentions, a lot of times the seat doesn't line up perfectly for various reasons.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

might be a GS1000 chain bike seat made to fit.
          Think those are a bit more rounded at the back, explaining the gap.
          Unfortunately i do not have a G seat to compare.

A GS1000G seat should have the holes in the metal pan for the strips that were on the side originally.

1979_GS1000SN_04.jpg
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

looks like the GS1000G seat is not rounded at the back,
            it looks more edged in this picture

24c1f86ca3e67686c681626084316b.jpg
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Underside

Here's view from underside.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JimboGS1000G View Post
                Here's view from underside.
                That is NOT a 1000G seat pan. I just went out to the garage and looked at mine. Four of the six rubber pads on the bottom should be rectangular. Sorry, I don't have a pic handy, or time to get one. "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                  That is NOT a 1000G seat pan. I just went out to the garage and looked at mine. Four of the six rubber pads on the bottom should be rectangular. Sorry, I don't have a pic handy, or time to get one. "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
                  I agree that it is not an OEM seat. As mentioned earlier by AZR, it appears to be "over stuffed" and the OEM seat cover is not riveted onto the seat pan, but hooks onto pointed barbs at the sides of the seat pan.

As said by Dogma, there are four rectangular rubber pads. The OEM seat pan has "bends" (ridges) in it to make the structure sturdier, instead of just being "flat".

Here is a photo of the underside of my seat, although it is on a 1981 model, and not 1980 like yours. However, there is also a gap between the rear of my seat and the tailpiece, which seems to be a common thing.

1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Late 70's seat base that had the inside rounded tail and side sections that went under the seat?

Comment

Oh yeah....welcome aboard the forum!

Comment

After market plastic seat. God only knows what GS it was designed to fit. Possibly and 80', possibly a 78-79'. You're best to find a proper metal one like posted.
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks for all replies, and for the welcoming.
                          This was my first posting, but I've been already looking for some information from this forum.
                          The pan actually is metal, so I'm assuming it's just wrong model.
                          Those rectangular cushions or lack of them made me wonder a bit earlier already.

Well I'll start looking for proper seat after this riding season.

Comment

eBay surprised me after long unfruitful search with this.
                            There were no information where this came out from but it looked like to fit the part.
                            Were the 850/1000G the only ones to have the chrome trim on the side?
                            This seat had the holes for the trim so I got it...
                            Right call?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Another view
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X