Help me my gs does not run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me my gs does not run

I bought a 78 gs 1000 that has been sitting for a while???? I rebuilt the leaking fuel petcock. ,the battery is strong, it starts with full choke. Runs on 2/3/4 cylinders. Not crisp. Does not idle.
    Where do I begin?
    i will replace the spark plug.ugs then?
    ideas
    thanks
    sigpic
    1982 CB900FS
    1979 CB750F
    1978 GS 1000E
    1978 GS 1000C
    2018 Goldwing dct tour

Best to keep it in one forum section... I replied in electrical, but it is probably more fuel related.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Hango View Post
      I bought a 78 gs 1000 that has been sitting for a while???? I rebuilt the leaking fuel petcock. ,the battery is strong, it starts with full choke. Runs on 2/3/4 cylinders. Not crisp. Does not idle.
      Where do I begin?
      i will replace the spark plug.ugs then?
      ideas
      thanks
      Probably time some serious maintenance including, a complete carb rebuild, valve adjustment and proper carb sync afterwards.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
        Probably time some serious maintenance including, a complete carb rebuild, valve adjustment and proper carb sync afterwards.
        Yes, you're going to have to update all the maintenance neglected for years. As all of us had to do.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          This. Start with valves, then a FULL carb clean with complete disassembly and acid dip. See where you're at when all that's done. You should replace the o-rings for the carb boots when you have the carbs off as well, that will start to address any air leaks.
          -Rich

1982 GS850GL - WE DID IT! Introduction

Comment

Working...
          X