Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble starting

So here's a curiosity.

I haven't ridden my bike for a week or so, and it doesn't start up on the first try when I haven't started it much.
    So this afternoon I was pushing the start button and after a while it stopped turning over and all the dash lights went out.
    I had somewhere to go, so I hopped in the car, did my stuff, and came back.

Took the seat off and looked at the fuses, they're fine.

Took the side cover off and looked at the battery. One lead was loose. Not off, but a half turn of the screwdriver and then the dash lights came on and I was able to start the bike.

What the heck? How would a battery terminal bolt loosen itself a half turn?

Also I guess I should leave the trickle charger on when I don't ride for a week.
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
    So here's a curiosity.

I haven't ridden my bike for a week or so, and it doesn't start up on the first try when I haven't started it much.
    So this afternoon I was pushing the start button and after a while it stopped turning over and all the dash lights went out.
    I had somewhere to go, so I hopped in the car, did my stuff, and came back.

Took the seat off and looked at the fuses, they're fine.

Took the side cover off and looked at the battery. One lead was loose. Not off, but a half turn of the screwdriver and then the dash lights came on and I was able to start the bike.

What the heck? How would a battery terminal bolt loosen itself a half turn?

Also I guess I should leave the trickle charger on when I don't ride for a week.
    Heat and vibration, maybe. Did you use a 10mm wrench or socket to tighten them or a Phillips? Phillip screwdrivers never tighten them enough for my liking, use a wrench to get it good and tight.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

If you have an AGM battery (that is a construction type, not a brand name), you could let it go just about all winter without charging, so a week or so should not be a problem.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

SOunds like the loose battery connection was your problem. Probably just was not tight enough to start with, and loosend up with temperature changes and vibration.

About "Leaving trickle charger on it".
        DO you mean a 3/4 or 1 or 2 amp battery charger..... if so, no, don't leave that on for days at a time.
        If it is a battery maintainer, that will turn itself off when fully charged, then, yah, go ahead and leave that on if you want.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
        X