Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing a valve adjustment... any warnings or precautions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing a valve adjustment... any warnings or precautions?

This weekend is valve adjustment time and I have never done one so I am a little nervous. Read several threads here and have read my clymer and even watched a video or 2 but is there anything that you would warn someone about so I can look out for it? Doesn't sound extremely difficult and I have the day set aside to do nothing but valve adjustment but still.

At the moment my biggest fear is getting the cover back on and not over torquing the screws. I have a clicking torque wrench that has served me well but it only goes down to 10 lbs and I have a beam model but I really dont love it or trust myself with it and usually only use it on things getting a significant torque.

Anything else to be aware of?

I'm sure someone will scream bloody murder for saying this, but I use a 1/4 drive ratchet and just use two fingers and my thumb at the ratchet head to tighten the valve cover bolts .

You didn't mention what bike you have. there are two types for GSs, shim over tappet or screw and lock nut. If you doing the shim type get an empty egg carton to store anything you remove as to not mix anything up by accident. Right everything down for reference and future use. Most manuals say to shoot for the middle of the range, but most guys here will say to go for the loose side if it's possible. just remember they constantly tighten so looser is better unless you find out you really like doing this.
    Last edited by gsrick; 05-26-2017, 06:32 PM.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

82 750e.
      Do you have a valve cover gasket on hand for the likelihood of it not coming off in one piece?
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I did buy a new gasket and it appears to be a nice thick well made piece. I was going to put a skim coat of white lithium on the motor side, install the gasket and put another skim on the valve cover side.

Comment

I'm not sure if it made a difference in being able to reuse the gasket but I drenched mine with WD-40 and have taken it apart and put it back together twice using the same gasket.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

best advice i can think of is - take your time.

Not a complicated job, but the first time is always unnerving.
            When you're done, remove the spark plug caps and spin the engine
            a couple of seconds on the starter and measure again.
            Just to be sure you feel it's done right.

I often hear people complaining that 'those old Suzuki's tend to leak
            from the valve cover gasket'.
            If they do, the mechanic probably did a bad job.
            Last time i had to clean old gasket remains off the head and cover it took
            several hours.
            Just make sure the surfaces are perfectly clean, one tiny bit of old gasket
            remaining can cause a leak.
            Be patient and take care not to scratch the metal while removing the gasket.

Asking for advice, watching videos and recognizing things that could go wrong tells me you're the right person for the job, so now go do it and enjoy it !
            Last edited by Rijko; 05-26-2017, 08:29 PM.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

If it's one of those thick silicone gaskets, they have been known to cause failure if the cam / tachometer gear due to improper meshing of the gears.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome and thanks for the thread start. Here's my adventure with the adjustment I did on my "T".

Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

Ed

EDIT: you'll need a tappet set and two feeler gauges.
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-29-2017, 10:12 PM.
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  82 750e.
                  Do you have a valve cover gasket on hand for the likelihood of it not coming off in one piece?
                  I never take it for granted by whats in a sig, but I also didn't see it listed there.
                  GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Make "the tool" beforehand that you will need to do the actual adjustment. You likely already have the box-end wrench to loosen the locknut, but "the tool" can be made with a square-drive drywall screw that is screwed into a short dowel.

I have also heard it said that it is best to use TWO sets of feeler gauges and use both of them at the same time. That keeps the rocker arm from canting sideways when you check the clearance on one valve.

Unlike changing shims and being stuck with what you get, you can pick your clearance and turn the screw adjusters to that, then lock it down. Set the clearance on the looser side of the middle of the range.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

so Part 1 went fine. Everything came off readily. The breather cover was a little stuck but a piece of wooden dowel and a light tap from a plastic hammer and it was free. The valve cover came off clean as a whistle and I probably could have reused the gasket but since I already bought a new one I will be installing a new gasket for the valve cover and the breather. I checked all the valves and they were all within spec. The Previous owner didn't work on his own bikes but had a friend help and said something to the effect of ... "yea he even did that thing where you know you turn the big nut under there and adjust the camshafts." I kind of took that for a valve adjustment at the time of purchase but wanted to check with my own eyes.

I will leave reassembly for tomorrow. I dont have sealing washers for the 4 Phillips screws so I am thinking about making 4 washers from gasket stock. Looks like the ones that were in there have a rubber center with a metal washer. The rubber shredded on removal.

I checked out the robertsons at Lowes but the problem is they only have them in boxes of like 50 or more. I right now have 73 sealing washers because I needed two at my petcock screws. I freagin hate square drive so I will and up with 8 bucks worth of screws to use 2 so I would like to just buy the official tool for next time.

Can someone confirm that this is it. It is a square drive and I like the large knob but I dont know if it is the right size square drive for my 1982 GS750E.

Pt # 09917-14910

last question for now .. Is there a bolt tightening pattern I should do? My Triumph was REAL sensitive to bolt pattern tightening on the valve cover. Screw up and leaks.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Just for anyone coming and reading this later .. I had 6 pcs 40mm screws and the rest were 35mm. On my 1982 gs750 4 long screws went at the holes in the valve cover just surrounding the breather and the two others went into the holes that have the locating dowels.

Comment

Probably too late but i use a bit of anti-seize on the cam cover bolts when re-installing.
                          Makes for no broken bolts the next time you have the top off.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                            Probably too late but i use a bit of anti-seize on the cam cover bolts when re-installing.
                            Makes for no broken bolts the next time you have the top off.
                            I didnt have anti seize but I did put white lithium on all the screws while I was putting it together. The screw length differences I didnt notice until i was almost done putting in all the screws and had to pull them all one at a time to check length. Its a small enough difference not to notice when you just have a cup full of screws.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                              so Part 1 went fine. Everything came off readily. The breather cover was a little stuck but a piece of wooden dowel and a light tap from a plastic hammer and it was free. The valve cover came off clean as a whistle and I probably could have reused the gasket but since I already bought a new one I will be installing a new gasket for the valve cover and the breather. I checked all the valves and they were all within spec. The Previous owner didn't work on his own bikes but had a friend help and said something to the effect of ... "yea he even did that thing where you know you turn the big nut under there and adjust the camshafts." I kind of took that for a valve adjustment at the time of purchase but wanted to check with my own eyes.

I will leave reassembly for tomorrow. I dont have sealing washers for the 4 Phillips screws so I am thinking about making 4 washers from gasket stock. Looks like the ones that were in there have a rubber center with a metal washer. The rubber shredded on removal.

I checked out the robertsons at Lowes but the problem is they only have them in boxes of like 50 or more. I right now have 73 sealing washers because I needed two at my petcock screws. I freagin hate square drive so I will and up with 8 bucks worth of screws to use 2 so I would like to just buy the official tool for next time.

Can someone confirm that this is it. It is a square drive and I like the large knob but I dont know if it is the right size square drive for my 1982 GS750E.

Pt # 09917-14910

last question for now .. Is there a bolt tightening pattern I should do? My Triumph was REAL sensitive to bolt pattern tightening on the valve cover. Screw up and leaks.
                              That is the OEM adjuster. I prefer the one with the built in wrench https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0583
                              Start in the middle and work outward, not too tight, and do it twice....
                              sigpic
                              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260
                              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X