Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing a valve adjustment... any warnings or precautions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob that tool looks great. Let me make sure I got it. The adjuster goes down through the wrench so you turn the adjuster and then just tighten the nut. If that is the case .. that is bad A** and that is the one I will need for my future adventures.

Funny thing about the stupid valve cover. I was in the service a while, grew up in a terrible crime ridden housing project and have been through and done some scary things and yet .. it took me two hours and several wiping of the sweaty brow tightening those damn screws. I was terrified! I started at the inside right next to the breather and while I had to walk back and forth between the left side and right I crisscrossed to the left and right outward. I then did as you suggested and came back around to just snug up using only a couple of fingers on a 1/4 drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
      Bob that tool looks great. Let me make sure I got it. The adjuster goes down through the wrench so you turn the adjuster and then just tighten the nut. If that is the case .. that is bad A** and that is the one I will need for my future adventures.

Funny thing about the stupid valve cover. I was in the service a while, grew up in a terrible crime ridden housing project and have been through and done some scary things and yet .. it took me two hours and several wiping of the sweaty brow tightening those damn screws. I was terrified! I started at the inside right next to the breather and while I had to walk back and forth between the left side and right I crisscrossed to the left and right outward. I then did as you suggested and came back around to just snug up using only a couple of fingers on a 1/4 drive.
      That is the way that tool works. Adjust the gap with the top knob, hold it in place while tightening the wrench part. I love it. All I can say about the gasket is that it will leak if it is too tight, or too loose. So start too loose because you can't go back. The harder gaskets like OEM or Vesrah seem to be better than the soft cardboard like ones you find on Ebay for $12.
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Hooray!! No leaks, misting or greasyness anywhere around my valve cover after a 30 mile ride in 100 degree weather!! Check another item off the list.

Comment

Congrats.
          Now you can offer advice to the next first-timer.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
          X