'80 550E only indicator lights work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 550E only indicator lights work

Just bought a 1980 550e. Bike ran fine and all electricals worked. I put on a new throttle cable and new battery, and now no electricals other than the oil, neutral, and gear indicator lights will work. In addition, while checking wiring connections, got a beeping sound that I was able to replicate once - not the horn. Battery is fine, fuses are good, and kill switch looks fine. What should I check or replace?

-Matt

Since you changed the battery, make sure you got all the ground connections back in place.

Also check your fuses. One fuse (the one closest to the end of the box) is for LIGHTS, the next one is for SIGNALS, which includes turn signals, horn, warning lights and brakes, the third fuse is IGNITION. The fourth fuse is the MAIN fuse.

It's possible that the first and third fuses are bad. You can't just go by looks, you have to verify electrically that the fuse is intact. Use a voltmeter or a test light to verify.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X