Some parts questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some parts questions

Hey guys, I'm in some need of help in a couple areas so I can get my project back up and running soon. I am doing a cafe build and running pods on my carbs (K&N) so take that into consideration. My bike is a 78 GS750, and currently has a V&H 4-1 on it (though I'm not sure what bike it came off of as it was put on by the original owner)

1. What companies or is there someone on here that makes a good seat setup? I would much rather support the forum community for a good product, but if that is not available, I don't mind having to use an actual company. I live in an apartment and lack the space or skill to work up my own fabrication. I would need the setup to hide a battery and the wiring harness in (looking into the Motogadget M unit)

2. I am liking the Anti-gravity batteries, but is there anything else you guys recommend, or a certain setup you like better? I like them because they are small, cut down the weight and look like itd be easy to hide under a smaller hump of a seat.

3. I am running a 4-1 VH, but the original owner didnt have a muffler on there, and there I am really lost as to what to do. Is it something as simple as picking a muffler out and welding it on, or does it require a fabrication job to mount something? If there is a "bolt on" or weld on option, that'd be better. Guys with pods, is there one you found to work better?

Thanks for the heads up guy, any help is greatly appreciated!

I have to ask, what is an anti-gravity battery? Do you have a link to one?

Never mind, I should really learn to look before I ask silly questions

Smallest, Lightest, Most Powerful Lithium Motorsports Batteries - the First with Built-In Jump-Starting! Top Rated MICRO-START Jump-Starter Power Supplies
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yeah, I assume its just the company name, and not some space age tech lol. Ive seen similar style/sized/weighted batteries out there, but I think I had seen a good chunk of people were using Anti-Grav.

Comment

I can't help you much with your seat selection, as my choices tend to be toward something that is comfortable enough to be ridden on for a while.
        Granted, some younger guys might be able to tolerate an upholstered slab longer than I can, but there are still limits.

Personally, I would stay away from Lithium batteries. Not just because they tend to catch fire, but because they require charging parameters that are controlled quite differently than the stock lead-acid battery. I know one of your stated objectives was to save weight, but unless you have done a lot of other "weight-saving" measures, you still have a 500-pound bike. Saving 7 or 8 pounds of battery weight really won't make that much difference. A better choice would be to get a smaller-capacity AGM (that is a construction style, not a brand name) battery that you can hide. You may have to use the kick starter more, but that presents the image better, anyway. If you really wanted to save that 7 or 8 pounds, you could delete the starter motor, instead. Then you would not need all the cranking capacity of the larger battery.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDiver View Post
          3. I am running a 4-1 VH, but the original owner didnt have a muffler on there, and there I am really lost as to what to do. Is it something as simple as picking a muffler out and welding it on, or does it require a fabrication job to mount something? If there is a "bolt on" or weld on option, that'd be better. Guys with pods, is there one you found to work better?
          Can you post pics of the header you have and the setup you inherited from the PO? For pods the only ones to use are K&N or APE (which look exactly the same as the K&N pods). All the others are not worth considering and are more trouble than they are worth.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            A better choice would be to get a smaller-capacity AGM (that is a construction style, not a brand name) battery that you can hide. You may have to use the kick starter more, but that presents the image better, anyway. If you really wanted to save that 7 or 8 pounds, you could delete the starter motor, instead. Then you would not need all the cranking capacity of the larger battery.

Well the original owner disabled the electric start, and I do actually like the kick start aspect of it, so its no loss to keep it that way. I haven't poked around much for the other battery options, I had just looked at the lithium stuff because I noticed it was relatively small and easy to hide in a seat pan without having a massive hump. Id like to be able to keep the sight lines as needed to go with the flow the bike. Do you have a company that you like for AGM type batteries?

@Mark

Below is probably the best pic I have right now of the current pipe setup. And unfortunately the APE pods weren't available when I ordered, so I had to drop the extra coin on the K&N. However I can swallow that bullet if everything gets to running smoother.

Comment

Pay no attention to the ugliness, I have a build thread up and running but I havent been able to get much done recently due to other things in life. I am still disassembling and fixing stuff from the previous owner and sorting other ideas out for the build.

Comment

Some of us like the Motobatt brand of AGM batteries but there a lot out there to choose from.

Some riders have had success putting Harley mufflers on their pipes though I don't know if it will work with your set up.
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

@Mark

Below is probably the best pic I have right now of the current pipe setup. And unfortunately the APE pods weren't available when I ordered, so I had to drop the extra coin on the K&N. However I can swallow that bullet if everything gets to running smoother.

Perfect. That is a Vance & Hines sidewinder pipe. This is what they look like from V&H:

You can attach any muffler you like to that header and it will be fine. That pipe does have another significant issue, though. It is meant for drag racing and has very little ground clearance on the RH side. You will drag it in even very moderate cornering and very likely crash somewhere as a result of that. What you need is a street (or roadrace) oriented 4-1 that runs under the centerline of the bike, providing cornering clearance in both directions.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

That's what the original owner had said, is that due to dragging issues, he removed the muffler portion and left it open like it is now. Granted I do like the sound of it open, I've heard that it actually does horrible stuff for tuning and gas.

I was trying to avoid having to buy a new exhaust system though, that's actually bad news that there is no way to fix it short of that.

Comment

That's what the original owner had said, is that due to dragging issues, he removed the muffler portion and left it open like it is now. Granted I do like the sound of it open, I've heard that it actually does horrible stuff for tuning and gas.
                      Yeah, you need a tail pipe, even if it is open to the end, to simplify tuning the carbs and getting it running correctly. I don't know what the OD of the collector outlet is (my guess is 2"-2.5"), but you can find a bolt on muffler that matches it and just attach it straight on to the end of the collector. Lots of guys here have bought take off OEM Harley mufflers from fleabay and used them on their bikes with satisfactory results. It won't solve your ground clearance issues, though. There is no way around that without putting a different system on the bike.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                      X