Grinding valve shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding valve shims

Guys, I have amassed almost 30 shims from various sources. The problem is that they are nearly all 2.7-2.85 sizes. Has anyone ever ground these down?
    I have a friend who works for a firm who can do it for free but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it. If so, how did they turn out and did it affect the hardening.
    I'd be looking for some to go down to a range from 2.4-2.65. I'm guessing it won't be a good idea but I thought I'd ask just in case.
    We don't have a shim swap scheme in UK as yet but it is being talked about.

Cheers.

get mine done all the time, you can easily take a 2.80 down to 2.40 without a problem with the case hardening. its better to grind it both sides so it ends up dead flat and you dont take to much off one face.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I understand that the hardening is all the way through, so that is not a problem.

if you only grind one side, do yourself (and the next guy) a favor and grind the side that has the number printed on it.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nicholk, we have a member in Colorado who bought a surface grinder just to grind down shims, it's the GS Shim Club

So, yeah,itworks
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I recently bought some GS500 shims, new, from Suzuki. I don't have them in hand anymore, and didn't spend a lot of time admiring them as I wanted to go riding, but they looked different from the old original style. Less chamfer on the edges, and appear to be made of powdered metal. They were also cheap, relatively, at about $10. I don't know how these would surface grind, but I don't see why not.

They also eliminated my cam walk…. so maybe part of that is having slightly non parallel faces or cupping wear. Dunno, but I don't find the cost exorbitant, especially if you're running a twin, and by now a lot of the shim fleet is getting rather 'experienced'. I guess the GS500 was the last motor to use this form of shim. ??
          '82 GS450T

Comment

OK, thanks guys, I'll pass them off to my friend Thursday......but he has to wait for the boss to go out to do a freebie..!!
            Rgds to all
            Keith

Comment

Working...
            X