Tuning carbs for aftermarket camshafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning carbs for aftermarket camshafts

Hi, I have a 83 750e that I've been working on. I had it running pretty good untill I installed some web cams the other day. I degreed the cams in acording to the cam card, I thought that might fix the problem as I had originally installed them just using my stock sprockets. this didn't help much. My question is if you install preformance cams what carb mods can you expect to have to do? Thanks Andy

I'm no expert on the cams, but even just degreeing the stock cams differently will change your jetting requirements. I plan on changing my 1100E cams to 106/108 from the oddball OEM settings of 110/109 (I think it was) and I am expecting to have to go a bit richer on the pilots and possibly leaner on the mains. What did you set the lobe centers at on the new cams?

The tried and true way is to sort your carbs the same as if you were starting from scratch, one circuit at a time. Since you were close before you shouldn't have to tweak too much in order to make it work. Do some testing, your bike will always tell you what it wants to have.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
    X