Steering bearing whoas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering bearing whoas

I have had this bike for years and the steering has been getting worse the more I ride it but it wasn't until I got a silly notion to carry a bicycle that it was a real problem. I figured the bearings would need changed sooner or later so I had already ordered the bearings. The final straw was as above the bicycle (I'll try adding a pic so you can have some laughs) when loaded the steering became dangerous so it's time to replace....or so I thought. I just took the front end apart (my first time) and found that the bolt I thought was holding everything together was not. I'll stop here and state the bike I'm talking about is an 82' GS850G. There is another below the top plate that actually holds the tension on the bearings. While taking it apart I found out it's loose. Not finger loose but I got almost half a turn tighter than where it was. Looking at the bearings they are almost new only problem is tbe PO didn't lube them well at all. Inspecting them if I push the two races together it feels slightly bumpy.

My questions, 1st Already know this answer but I would like to hear yours too, should I replace these almost new bearings? 2nd what is the torque on the two bolts? The lower cap and the actual top bolt?
    Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for the help.

Also just tried the new bearings from AllBalls and they do feel the same maybe I'm wrong about replacing them?
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X