No announcement yet.

Why My Skunk Would Not Run Right...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure the last time I talked to Dynatec about the stage-3 jet kit they mentioned removing those lines and when I first started tuning for pipes and pods I was told the same thing by other forum members. It may not be the GS1000 is affected as badly as the 1100's were for whatever reason they stated. I know I can ride in the air stream from anywhere on a tractor trailer or between two of them them without any problems and have heard people with 1100's complain bitterly about what it does to their bikes with pipes and pods.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
      I'm pretty sure the last time I talked to Dynatec about the stage-3 jet kit they mentioned removing those lines and when I first started tuning for pipes and pods I was told the same thing by other forum members. It may not be the GS1000 is affected as badly as the 1100's were for whatever reason they stated. I know I can ride in the air stream from anywhere on a tractor trailer or between two of them them without any problems and have heard people with 1100's complain bitterly about what it does to their bikes with pipes and pods.
      If you are talking CV carbs versus VM style carbs then pods can be a nightmare to get tuned correctly on CV carbs. This has more to do with disrupting the flow of air at the intake which directly governs the slide operation than anything else.

I really cant see how removing the float bowl breather pipes will have any positive effect on the carbs unless the pipes are somehow blocked or kinked. The downside to having no pipes is the open port lets crap in.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

You are probably right, my memory doesn't always serve these days and this only pertains to VM carburetors.There must have been a reason but I can't remember it clearly.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

ya know what made this so hard to figure out was that i knew it was running on less than 4 cylinders but i couldn't figure out which one wasn't firing. at idle all 4 were going fine because fuel was flowing through the smaller jet circuit. so the only time it misfired was under power and ya can't feel the exhaust pipes while you're riding. actually, feeling the exhaust pipes is a crummy and painful way to find out anything. i was wondering if one of those electronic thermometers would have helped find the bad cylinder?
          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
          82 gs1100L probably the next project
          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I use a digital infrared thermometer to check exhaust pipes and brakes for even and correct operation, you just have to be precise when taking readings, the temp can vary depending on where you point the red dot on the pipes and disks.

Glad you figured that issue out with the blocked jet.

David
            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
              The only reason the vent hoses should be off is if you have Pods and 4-1 Pipes.
              Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              Yes, the K&N directions say remove the hoses.
              Originally posted by allojohn View Post
              Yeah really, where did K&N come up with that one.....
              Originally posted by gustovh View Post
              What is supposed to happen if you do?
              I have always questioned the 'wisdom' of removing the hoses and had to ask myself why they might suggest it. Here is my opinion, you may do what you want with it.

In stock configuration, there is an airbox/filter assembly behind the carbs. The vent hoses are either routed behind the back side of the airbox (as in the 850 and 1000 shafties) or run over the airbox to a retainer loop on top of the filter housing (as on the 550s and 650s that I have seen). The whole point of the hoses is to provide an atmospheric reference to the float bowls so there is a proper pressure difference in the venturi so there is a proper fuel draw through the jets. If you install pods, you will remove the airbox and filter assembly, which leaves room for air to move around. That moving air is right where the hoses end, so the atmospheric reference will be changing with every little gust of wind that happens. Removing the hoses will leave the reference point at the end of the vent "T" between the carbs. The air between the carbs should be relatively calm, so it tends to work. On the other hand, if you re-route the hoses to end in a place that still has calm air, like under the seat, I feel they should still work just fine. It has worked that way on my son's 650 for the last 15 years, but I have never pulled the hoses off to see what the difference might be.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Regarding infared thermometers. They arent accurate (or at least mine isn't, per directions and verified) on shiny surfaces.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Regarding infared thermometers. They arent accurate (or at least mine isn't, per directions and verified) on shiny surfaces.
                  i used the "spit on fingers and try not to burn them by tapping the exhaust" method for years, but even accounting for some inaccuracy i like the infrared thermometer better. My temperature estimation/comparison listening to my spit sizzling is probably way more inaccurate
                  Last edited by Rijko; 06-01-2017, 12:43 PM.
                  Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                    i used the "spit on fingers and try not to burn them by tapping the exhaust" method for years, but even accounting for some inaccuracy i like the infrared thermometer better. My temperature estimation/comparison listening to my spit sizzling is probably way more inaccurate
                    My method for a quick tell, is a spray bottle with water and see which evaporates quickest/slowest. Again, only good at a standstill.
                    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

But would it be consistent from one shiny surface to another enough to tell a difference rather than actual temperature?
                      Alan

sigpic
                      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Not sure. I was using mine to charge an air conditioning unit, and was reading on a shiny copper pipe. The temperature reading did not change, but it was clearly getting colder when touching it by hand.
                        In that instance I put a piece of electrical tape on the pipe, something that we cant do on a bike exhaust....

Maybe I'll do an experiment later.........
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Not sure. I was using mine to charge an air conditioning unit, and was reading on a shiny copper pipe. The temperature reading did not change, but it was clearly getting colder when touching it by hand.
                          In that instance I put a piece of electrical tape on the pipe, something that we cant do on a bike exhaust....

Maybe I'll do an experiment later.........
                          Please do that and report, I'm thinking of buying one.
                          Alan

sigpic
                          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I can get readings that show if one pipe is different than the others, I usually try to get a reading near the top of the pipe and same place on all pipes, works for me. (a reflective surface can bounce the beam straight back and cause incorrect readings)

The unit I have I got from Costco for about $20.00 and it seems to be very responsive and probably close to actual temp but haven't bothered having it tested.

I have also used it to find the radiant pipes in my concrete floor, I can see the difference between the areas with heat and those without when it's coming up to temperature, so many uses.

David
                            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                              ... (a reflective surface can bounce the beam straight back and cause incorrect readings)
                              I sort of agree that shiny surfaces might not give an accurate reading, but it's not the laser beam that gets bounced back to take the reading.

There is an infrared receiver at the front of the 'gun' that determines the temperature of the item under investigation, the laser just shows where it is pointed.

Another thing to keep in mind with these meters is that they measure a "cone" in front of the sensor. Both of my meters have a 12 to 1 cone, meaning that at a distance of 12 inches, they are reading a target that is 1 inch across. If you try reading that same target from 3 feet away, the meter will be looking at a 3 inch target, but your 1 inch source is only a small part of it, so it will be averaged in with the rest of the 3 inch target.

Best deal I have found for a meter is at Menards. Usually about $15 or so. When they have their 11% sale every 6 weeks or so, there will be about $1.65 off of that.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                I have always questioned the 'wisdom' of removing the hoses and had to ask myself why they might suggest it. Here is my opinion, you may do what you want with it.

In stock configuration, there is an airbox/filter assembly behind the carbs. The vent hoses are either routed behind the back side of the airbox (as in the 850 and 1000 shafties) or run over the airbox to a retainer loop on top of the filter housing (as on the 550s and 650s that I have seen). The whole point of the hoses is to provide an atmospheric reference to the float bowls so there is a proper pressure difference in the venturi so there is a proper fuel draw through the jets. If you install pods, you will remove the airbox and filter assembly, which leaves room for air to move around. That moving air is right where the hoses end, so the atmospheric reference will be changing with every little gust of wind that happens. Removing the hoses will leave the reference point at the end of the vent "T" between the carbs. The air between the carbs should be relatively calm, so it tends to work. On the other hand, if you re-route the hoses to end in a place that still has calm air, like under the seat, I feel they should still work just fine. It has worked that way on my son's 650 for the last 15 years, but I have never pulled the hoses off to see what the difference might be.

I can tell you what will happen. If you have no hoses and are hit by strong gusts from the side, it feels like someone took out half the cylinders. We took my 1000G up with us to Tennessee a few years ago and I was broad sided by a few strong gusts and I thought I was running out of gas. I don't get that drastic change here, but I run hoses that drop down between the engine and swing arm anyway.
                                GSRick
                                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
                                X