Pirelli sport demon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pirelli sport demon

So I went for sport demon from Avon road riders. The Avons crack, but I've only got 3600 miles on the rear sport demon and it's almost bald !. My GS1000 has always been greedy on rear tyres, but never this bad. Any suggestions for any other tyre ?
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

wow! you must be an Aggressive rider! You need deep pockets to keep laying all that soft rubber on the road surface. If you really want "mileage" you'll have to eat more salt peter and pick a Touring tire...

Comment

Metzlers ?

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
      The Avons crack
      Gotta get a fresh one. I beat this to death with Avon and supposedly it got fixed after 2013. Mine has been crack free for a couple years.

This from Avon cust service back then.....

Hi Dave,
      I am going to have Mark Wagoner in our office contact you regarding this tire as I am on the road this week. The UK has modified the sidewall compound in 2013 in this size to make it more flexible so this issue should be resolved now. Took a while to figure out a fix. So sorry about this. Mark will also send you a labor reimbursement form and as a gesture of goodwill I would like to send you an Avon jacket if you let me know size.

Best regards,
      Sukoshi
      Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-29-2017, 03:23 PM.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

IIRC my Sport demon rear tire (on GS1100ED) was square after returning from a rally at RenoBruce's. Probably less than 2000 miles.

It was probably good for about 1K miles before it slowly robs handling having to roll out over that square profile.

I remember swapping to the Avon's and I almost dropped the bike on the inside curve (roundabout), because my normal handlebar force was much more (square tire of worn SD) v.s. the super round Avons.

Comment

Think I'll try a Metzeler, the pictures on that posting look to be wearing well. Only thing I can think is I'm addicted to the sensation of torque and arm stretching pull on acceleration!. Best mileage I've had in the past was about 6000 miles from a Pirelli route, but it would spin up in the damp weather.
          My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

here's a GSF link per trying "Metzler Sportec Klassic"...certainly look better at 3500 miles than you were doing with the Sport Demons

Comment

Your experience with the Pirellis is typical. They're nice, but short-lived, and they turn nasty in their old age.

I'd go with the Avons or the new Metzelers. I'm a big fan of the Avon RoadRiders, and I've never seen one in person that was cracked. And that problem has long been handled anyway.

The Metzelers have got to be pretty darn good, but there's not a lot of data on them yet. Maybe you should get a set and put them to the test in the name of Science.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I would go with the IRC Durotour if I were you. They have a very long tread life and they aren't that expensive. My dad got him for his 850 and I did the same for mine. On my dad's he has put about 1500 miles on and they still look brand new. They also have great traction and the ride is really smooth. The only thing I have to compare to the IRC is the D404 so I might be overselling the Durotour's. But believe me if you were to get the Durotour's you would not be unimpressed.

Comment

Working...
                X