1978 GS 1000 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS 1000 Rebuild

I purchased a 1978 GS 1000 that I'm working on restoring. I'm stumped and could use some direction on what to do next.

A little history. A few weeks after buying the bike it started to die on idle. I found that the electronic ignition failed. Replacing that fixed the issue. Then I found that one of the cylinders did not have compression. My friend rebuilt the motor for me and found in the process that the stock seals didn't match the motor due to a big bore kit being installed on the bike (have to check my receipts for the size). We also noticed that one of the 29mm smoothbore carb bodies on the bike were cracked. We replaced them with Mikuni 28mm Smoothbore Pumper Carburetors which were less adjustable. After the rebuild, we were able to get the bike to run and idle very roughly.

We also observed that the bike has a very difficult time shifting into neutral.

I parked the bike in October. I took it out of the garage, added premium gas, and it will turn over, but it won't idle.
    If I could get some direction on how to fix this bike, I would appreciate it.

Capture.jpg

Welcome aboard, gwk.
    Nice looking bike and with the performance bits i can see why you would want to get it sorted.
    A poor idle to me would point towards dirty carbs. A cleaning tutorial for your 28s can be found here.

Never heard of smoothbore carb body cracking. Any chance of a pic?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
    X