Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy new coils (w/condensers)?

Hi all,

I've asked this a few times but, unfortunately, no one has been able to point me in the right direction. I have a 1981 GS450 with points (yes, I know this is unusual but I am in South Africa so I think they made a few 81's with points here....). Anyways, the bike has these coils with condensers on the ends of them. See pic.

Capture.jpg
    My question is, where can I buy new oem coils or at lease replacements that have these little condensers on the back of them? I will be heading to the US for work in a couple of weeks so I can ship them to the US and just pick them up. Any links you could share to buy some of these would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

In your other thread, you said the coils tested good ,primary and secondary. Did you ever check to see if you have condensers cohabitating on the contact points plate?

new oem here...
    Shop online for OEM Electrical parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS450ST, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I scanned ebay for gs450 ignition coils and didn't see any with condensers stuck on... I'm sorta skeptical that that partsoutlaw part fiche is correct- might be creative drawing! Also remember that the usa 1981 gs450 had signal coils.

Have you considered getting a Dyna ignition and dumping the points?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        In your other thread, you said the coils tested good ,primary and secondary. Did you ever check to see if you have condensers cohabitating on the contact points plate?

new oem here...
        http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...97d/electrical
        Here, I just took a picture of my points. I don't see any condensers there.
        IMG_1248.jpg

Comment

I scanned ebay for gs450 ignition coils and didn't see any with condensers stuck on... I'm sorta skeptical that that partsoutlaw part fiche is correct- might be creative drawing! Also remember that the usa 1981 gs450 had signal coils.

Have you considered getting a Dyna ignition and dumping the points?

I am up to try that. Probably best sense points will eventually become obsolete, right? How expensive is a dyna ignition and is it relatively straightforward in terms of installing? Any instructions you can point me to?

Comment

The usa gs425 parts fiche says it has a ND points /advancer setup. Do you see any markings on your points plate? Bunch of guys here have put the dyna on 450s

here is a pic of the dyna on a 650 plate with the ND ignition

image.jpg
            1981 gs650L

Comment

In your other thread you said one of the coils was getting very hot, and that is why you want to replace them. New OEM coils will cost an arm and a leg and maybe a kidney as well.

As mentioned above, consider changing to electronic ignition. I think the coils for that system are different to the coils for a points system, but not 100% sure. A Dynatek system and coils would be pricy (for us in our currency), but probably worth it in the long run.

As an alternative, go to "Ryan's Motorcycle Surgery" at 75 Voortrekker Road, Parow (next door to Craig's Motorcycle Fitment Centre which is on the corner of Voortrekker Road and Frankfort Road near where Giel Basson Drive crosses Voortrekker Road). Phone number 083 270 6637. He has an amazing amount of used parts for all kinds of bikes stashed in plastic bins on rows and rows of shelves. Maybe he has second hand coils for the points system like yours, or maybe he has all the second hand parts needed to change to an electronic ignition system from later GS450's (if they will work on your bike - Ryan should be able to tell you if it will work or not).
              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                In your other thread you said one of the coils was getting very hot, and that is why you want to replace them. New OEM coils will cost an arm and a leg and maybe a kidney as well.

As mentioned above, consider changing to electronic ignition. I think the coils for that system are different to the coils for a points system, but not 100% sure. A Dynatek system and coils would be pricy (for us in our currency), but probably worth it in the long run.

As an alternative, go to "Ryan's Motorcycle Surgery" at 75 Voortrekker Road, Parow (next door to Craig's Motorcycle Fitment Centre which is on the corner of Voortrekker Road and Frankfort Road near where Giel Basson Drive crosses Voortrekker Road). Phone number 083 270 6637. He has an amazing amount of used parts for all kinds of bikes stashed in plastic bins on rows and rows of shelves. Maybe he has second hand coils for the points system like yours, or maybe he has all the second hand parts needed to change to an electronic ignition system from later GS450's (if they will work on your bike - Ryan should be able to tell you if it will work or not).
                Hey man, thanks for the info. I just found out that the 1979 GS425 had the same points and coils system that the 1981 GS450s in South Africa have. I found some coils online and am going to try to go for that.

I have been to Ryan's before and have also called him, and all around (the typical suspects: both of the Craigs, Ryan's, Startline. I have even called up to Joburg's Bike Hospital and Knysna's Motorcycle Graveyard.) I don't think there are an available pair in the country...

Also.....Ryan is one of the most rude individuals I have ever met. He is super judgemental of what type of bike you ride and tries to rip off people constantly. Motorcycles are for everyone - from cheap Chinese bikes to CB500s....no one should feel judged....That is why I decide to try not to take my business to him

Comment

Originally posted by benjo View Post
                  Also.....Ryan is one of the most rude individuals I have ever met. He is super judgemental of what type of bike you ride and tries to rip off people constantly. Motorcycles are for everyone - from cheap Chinese bikes to CB500s....no one should feel judged....That is why I decide to try not to take my business to him
                  Yes, I wanted to warn you that a person has to be very thick-skinned to do business with Ryan. I have known him for years (from back when his shop was in Cape Town city centre), but luckily do not often have to buy something from him!

I was not aware that you have already spoken to him. Allan (the mechanic I told you about) used to work for Ryan long ago, but he is the exact opposite to Ryan - a really nice guy always willing to help!

Good luck in sorting your ignition out!

Comment

The usa gs425 parts fiche says it has a ND points /advancer setup. Do you see any markings on your points plate? Bunch of guys here have put the dyna on 450s
                    Benjo, there was a thread here quite recently where someone mentioned that the marking to look for is around the 10 o' clock position (a circle with something inside, or similar). Unfortunately I did not take too much notice because my bike does not have points, but I remember seeing the post.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                      Benjo, there was a thread here quite recently where someone mentioned that the marking to look for is around the 10 o' clock position (a circle with something inside, or similar). Unfortunately I did not take too much notice because my bike does not have points, but I remember seeing the post.
                      Can you explain this to me a little bit more? Why am I looking for markings? Why are they relevant? What are ND points/advancer setup? Sorry, I am still a newbie

Comment

Originally posted by benjo View Post
                        Can you explain this to me a little bit more? Why am I looking for markings? Why are they relevant? What are ND points/advancer setup? Sorry, I am still a newbie
                        There were two types: ND and Kokusan (or something like that). The ND setup was identified by a specific mark on the base plate, around the 10 o'clock position. If you want to change to a Dynatek system, you need to know which type you have, to get the correct Dynatek item.

I will look for that post, so that you can see the details.

EDIT: Here is the thread. (Look specifically at posts 1, 3, 7, 8 and 12) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...39#post2399439
                        Last edited by 2BRacing; 05-30-2017, 03:45 PM. Reason: Added info.

Comment

as an option, You could get some "generic" "automotive" condensers and put them anywhere convenient.. if you wire them correctly(to suck up the spark when points open)...and likewise coils that roughly match the windings resistances of the suzuki...I'd guess you would want to put them near the coils as Suzuki had it (....because they couldn't fit them near the points apparently..likely because the space was designed for the electronic ignition we all think you should have!)
                          Point/,coils are pretty similar among motorcycles..it's overall a pretty generic system and you should be able to find similar parts...say, from a 350-450 Honda twin...? or even (and it hurts me to say it) "new" .
                          Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-30-2017, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X