Countershaft sprocket cover for offset gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Countershaft sprocket cover for offset gear

When I reassembled the 1150 with the offset countershaft necessary for the 4.5" rear wheel, I reamed out the OEM cover enough to allow it to work, but I can still hear chain slap against it at times. I am zealous about chain adjustments, but I am tired of thinking about this issue. I don't want to leave the countershaft sprocket exposed, or at least not entirely. I have seen vestigial covers for such applications, but don't know where to source one. Can anyone suggest a source?
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

John Kat did a tidy alteration to his S cover. Might consider something like that.

Tripp or Ray or Stet have probably done some for their dragbikes.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Just completed this mod on my GS1000 engine, 3/8" 19T offset front sprocket, hydraulic clutch conversion using Ducati clutch slave cylinder, and it all fits behind stock cover.

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

This looks nice: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS110...-/272329272276
        sigpic
        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
        1983 GS1100e
        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
        1980 GS1260
        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Nice find!!! That's what I want!
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

One in Joe's thread as well.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
              The only problem with the sprocket cover shown is there is NO sprocket support. When you start spacing out your countershaft sprocket and adding horsepower, the output shaft will break. Ideally you want a "outboard bearing support"... Just go on "Big Jay's" website, (APE) I'm sure you'll find something. 👍
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I looked around there and didn't see anything ...
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  The only problem with the sprocket cover shown is there is NO sprocket support. When you start spacing out your countershaft sprocket and adding horsepower, the output shaft will break. Ideally you want a "outboard bearing support"... Just go on "Big Jay's" website, (APE) I'm sure you'll find something. 👍
                  I don't think a 3/8 sprocket will cause any problems. The Car tire guys running 10" rims and 3" offset sprockets, yes. The lack of support that concerns me with the ebay cover is for the shifter. Looks like the possibility of some flex there. When I ran (very briefly on stands in the garage) my 1100 without the cover the shifter would over-center due to lack of support and flex.
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

It does seem to have some shifter support built in.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                      I don't think a 3/8 sprocket will cause any problems. The Car tire guys running 10" rims and 3" offset sprockets, yes. The lack of support that concerns me with the ebay cover is for the shifter. Looks like the possibility of some flex there. When I ran (very briefly on stands in the garage) my 1100 without the cover the shifter would over-center due to lack of support and flex.
                      The shift shaft in the pictured cover is running in a bearing. And yes, it does need support. I tried many moons ago and with no support you miss most of your shifts. With the posted links, there is a ton of good resto-mod info which I will need in the future.
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

This is the counter shaft cover/ outboard bearing support, I use on my drag racing motorcycle. It's a 5/8 offset. The 630 chain would be just inside the frame tube. And just enough to get around a 6" wide drag slick. This one here is a cast aluminum Kosman set up. After doing a little research, it seems the drag race guys are mostly going with a 3" offset, to get around the car type wheel.
                        Attached Files
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I think I'm going to order one. I will need to have it powdercoated black.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

I make the SPS sprocket covers and they work fine with up to a 16mm offset sprocket. We incorporated a bearing in to cover to give enhanced shift shaft support over the stock oem cover. www.suzukiperformancespares.co.uk cheers Nick

Comment

Nick, where in that comprehensive site would I find such a beast?

Cheers!
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X