Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 Mystery connectors

Hi,

New to the forum but have been lurking for some time.

Just picked up a 78 1000GS with some modifications done to it. this usually isn't my cup of tea but the price was right for a roughly working bike so I went for it.

Long story short, the charging system doesn't seem to work which I know is common and I'm getting the SH775AA R/R but I'm hoping someone can help identify the mess on the left side of my bike. I have read many posts about installing and modifying the electrical system but I have yet to see any good identifying photos.

20170530_182759.jpg

So I'm under the impression, the red circle is the R/R, I have no idea what the Yellow circle is. is that the rare 2 part R/R I have read about?

Also the green and blue circles are important looking plugs that arnt plugged in to anything, the large black boot in the green is covering a 4 pin and 6 pin connectors and there is a separate 2 pin connector that appears to have been for a horn or something.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I dont have experince with pre 80 (that might have the sperate rectiyer and regulator).

Tell us the color of the wires on the yellow circle devicce.

Welcome to GSR.
      Working on a charging problem.
      Welcome to GSR.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

i should have looked at the amount of wires to the things. I'm going to say yes it is probably the separate R and R.

The yellow circled item has 5 wires,
        Red with White stripe and Blue dots
        White with black stripe
        yellow with black stripe
        white with blue stripe
        Black

the red circled item only has 2 wires that I can see,
        Yellow
        white
        plus the hopes and dreams ground on the top bolt

here is a pic of the "fat heavy Pig" the side panels are in the basement

20170530_182859.jpg
        Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2017, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Yellow circle item is a Motorola bridge rectifier, (or a clone of one) mounted on a heat sink. AC in DC out
          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Yes, this vintage bike has separate R and R

The red is the stock regulator
            The yellow is a non stock replacement recitfier
            If the blue connector is L shaped, that's where the turn signal flasher plugs in
            The green holds a number of wires

Someone has been bodging up that wiring

Have you been to Basscliffs website and downloaded the factory service manual?It has a complete wiring diagram

Look behind the green circle and there will be a group of 3 wires coming from under the chain case. Those will be the stator wires. Connect them to the SH 775
            Last edited by Big T; 05-30-2017, 10:57 PM.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

They do have a separate regulator and rectifier. I don't believe the one circled in yellow is stock. It doesn't matter, pull them both out and disconnect all the associated wiring, the SH-775 will replace them. In that cable with the spade terminals, follow it to see where they go. You are looking for a hot wire a ground and three other wires that go directly to the stator. All other wires are unnecessary. You will find other wires. There was one stator leg that looped through the light switch. It is unnecessary now and will be abandoned. Of the three wires going to the stator, I believe two of those wires were twinned to accommodate the two separate regulator and rectifier units so it looks like there are five wires coming from the stator. You need to trace all of them back to the stator and abandon the two redundant wires leaving only the three you need. It sounds complicated but it is really not. When you hook up the SH-775 the three wires from the stator go directly to the plug with three spades in any order. The power wire and ground go in the two spade plug, power being the inside spade closest to the stator wires. I see a ground wire at the top of the red circle. Once you identify what you need, safely tape off the others and abandon them. That will get you going but you need to look into creating a single point ground and going through your entire wiring harness connections, plugs, switches and grounds, cleaning, replacing burnt connectors if necessary to eliminate voltage drops that will effect proper operation. As Big T pointed out, the big black cover circled with green is where everything was originally connected before changes were made.
              Last edited by OldVet66; 05-30-2017, 11:45 PM.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                Yes, this vintage bike has separate R and R

The red is the stock regulator
                The yellow is a non stock replacement recitfier
                If the blue connector is L shaped, that's where the turn signal flasher plugs in
                The green holds a number of wires

Someone has been bodging up that wiring

Have you been to Basscliffs website and downloaded the factory service manual?It has a complete wiring diagram

Look behind the green circle and there will be a group of 3 wires coming from under the chain case. Those will be the stator wires. Connect them to the SH 775

by chance can you try that link again, its not working and takes me to a bunch of jibberish

Comment

Link works for me...in both the original and the copy.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

The first link works for me as well.
                    This should give you the service manual.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

thanks Steve's link worked.

Here is a photo of where the first link took me
                      Capture.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by goflossurself View Post
                        thanks Steve's link worked.

Here is a photo of where the first link took me
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]51676[/ATTACH]
                        Go to that page again and then click on Tools, Compatibility View Settings, then click on Add and OK to allow IE11 to read Basscliff's site.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          Go to that page again and then click on Tools, Compatibility View Settings, then click on Add and OK to allow IE11 to read Basscliff's site.
                          i swear I'm usually better with technology then that, works now thanks!

Comment

Dale, how did you even recognize that was IE11?
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                              Dale, how did you even recognize that was IE11?
                              If you are asking me (name is Scott btw), I just know that ever since Microsoft introduced IE11 there have been major issues with some sites especially if those sites don't update their code for it. Since I have seen the error before plenty of times, both with DNS names and the actual coding itself, I just figured it would be the issue
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X