Simple Cheap LED Factory Conversion Taillight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Cheap LED Factory Conversion Taillight

Simple little idea to get a very bright taillight. Used a standard oval LED light and cut off the red outer lens. Took a factory housing and pulled everything out of it. Little shaping with dremel on the LED board to make it fit snugly in the housing then used JB Weld to lock her in place. You lose the license plate bulb but the LED light is white and plenty bright enough to shine down on that plate. I was worried about vibrations breaking the JB Weld loose but after about 500 miles of some pretty rough Missouri highways I can say that it's nice and tight.

Originally posted by jabcb
    Check to see if its bright enough when its really sunny out.
    Well, he started with what appears to me to be a DOT-certified light. Yes, he removed the red cover, but put another red cover over it.
    I don't think it would still meet DOT requirements, but it should still be bright enough.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you look at the DOT lense of the original light it has some round de fractures probably intended to increase angular dispersion to increase visability from all angles . Ironically they are round rather than oval. Despite that precious ritzy It might be better to mount the cover inside the lense housing. The increase in viewing angle will probsbly out weigh the loss of light in double lense transmission.

Comment

You install a non dot brake light. Get rear ended. Insurance adjuster notes non dot bodge.
        You would probably get no insurance and might be liable for the damages to the other driver.

Not much of a savings all in all.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

It's very bright and visible in direct sunlight plus you get the "pop" of the instant on LEDs which I think is way more noticeable and attention grabbing than a slightly slower incandescent on. Magnitudes brighter than the brand new incandescent it had it in before even with the reflector in it. Yes I cut off the red lens on the oval light thus losing the little circle deflectors but the factory GS lens has those deflectors made into it so I didn't lose any viewing angle.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, just want to add to it.

After I got hit on my bike a few years ago, the very first thing out of the mouth of the guy who hit me was, "I didn't see you" so, I did a little upgrade of my brake lights. Rather than mess with the existing brake light (partly because of the same concerns raised here already), I decided to augment the brake lights instead.

What I used are the Police take down lights that are hidden in the grill of the vehicle, needless to say, they are extremely bright.

The two lights on the sides are on steady when the brakes are applied and the center one on the bottom I set it to an oscillating strobe when the brakes are applied.
            To give an idea of how bright these lights are, refer to the photos where the lights are lit. Even though it's not obvious, the original existing brake light is actually lit also.

The small picture above is actually a video, click on it and you can see how it works.

Guys I work with that also ride have commented on how bright the brake lights are and I have given them info so they can modify theirs also.
            Even the guys that do the annual safety inspection like how bright the brake lights are.

Here is a link to the original modification I did if anyone is interested.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

This thing is less than 20 bucks ? Bet you could put the txmitter in the HL bucket. Hmmmmmm.....

8 LED (4 for red brake light, 2 for left turn signal, and 2 for right turn signal). Turn light on, all LEDs flash twice, then red brake leds are on. Press on/off button for 5 seconds to enter code matching mode.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                This thing is less than 20 bucks ? Bet you could put the txmitter in the HL bucket. Hmmmmmm.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Motorcyc...38.m2548.l4275
                I've seen those, I keep thinking about buying one just to give it a try, could be interesting. Definitely cheap enough.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
                X