Throttle Tube Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Tube Replacement

The throttle tube (PN 57110-49510) on my '81 GS850's crumbled into many pieces, on the outboard side. So while the single cable still hooks up, it leaves the end feeling flimsy...and unsafe, I guess. Are there any aftermarket/universal (yeah, I know...) tubes that work with the stock switch power cubes on the handlebar? The OEM isn't terribly expensive (considering how much I have sunk into this bike already) but would be good to know. Thanks.

Never heard of an aftermarket throttle tube for GSes. And I don't think they're a generic thing either... the length and diameter are probably common enough but where it slots into the switch housing is probably very GS (and possibly model) specific. OEM is your best bet. If your existing throttle grip is in good shape, a used tube may be an option. Other than yours, I haven't heard of them going bad over time.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thank you, eil. That's what I thought might be the case. I've never had much luck with 'universal' tubes. They'd always leave the works wonky somehow or another. Just thought I'd check before picking up a OEM tube.

Comment

i don't know of cheaper aftermarket direct replacements.

But if you are replacing the throttle tube anyway, check the R1 throttle tube mod.

Apparently other than adjusting the cable, there are no other mods necessary
        and is a straight swap.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Thank you, Rijko. I thought I had a pretty good comprehensive list of upgrades to do while restoring this 850...don't know how I missed that one. I've done similar things to some of my other bikes and it's a noticeable improvement. Being that cash is getting tight on bringing the old girl back to life, I'll try $1 method first. Thanks again!

Comment

you're welcome.

I'm going to do the same mod, looking for a 2nd hand R1 tube now in NL.
            I already have a Donimo XM2 on another bike and i love the quick response.
            Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

Comment

Just checked eBay and looks like there are several R1 tubes, new and used, at fair prices. Not sure if it has to be a 2004 tube but looks like one tube fits many years.

Comment

yes, Partzilla has them on Ebay at a nice price.
                Shipping to Europe is killing the deal for me.

The assy is used on a ****load of bikes, check here :
                Buy Yamaha 4YR-26240-02-00 - GRIP. This OEM part is guaranteed by Yamaha's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com
                Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

Comment

maybe 1 small mod .. some tubes come with a plastic ring that needs to be removed.
                  ( http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=229955 )

DSCF0025.jpg
                  Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

Comment

Being a notorious cheapskate I always look closely at the later GS which remained in production for many years after ours ceased - the GS500.
                    Turns out the GS500 throttle tube fitted my '80 throttle handlebar control perfectly. There are doubtless other non-engine and power-realated parts which fit, for example if I need a complete set of handlebar controls that look right in place on mine, the GS500 ones will be modifiable easily to fit straight on. Minor electrical fettling, but that's nothing.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                    X