Stock airbox opening too big to seal around carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock airbox opening too big to seal around carb

Sup yall been noticing lately that my gs450l has been idling a little high after warming up and saw that my airbox isnt sealing around my carb inlet. After tightening down the hose clamps as far as they will go there is still about a 1-2mm opening all the way around the inlet. Not sure what to do at this point. Any nudges in the right direction would be helpful, will post pictures later when i get off work

Welcome to the site.
    Old carb boots become hard and can develop air leaks from cracks but not heard of them becoming sloppy all they way around.
    The clamps themselves can stretch over time.
    Something like these Oeiteker clamps might work for you. Or new boots.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

New OEM boots and clamps for the win! Parts Outlaw is the forum favorite for OEM parts. There is a discount shipping code kicking around the forum that can be searched out.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The staock airbox on mine had just plastic holes. You had to have the rubber inserts in them for the clamp to tighten enough to get a seal on the insert. I will post a fiche shot in a minute.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I chose the 82 fiche as thats what mine was.. You need the rubber inserts here. Parts 4 and 5 if they arent there.

Shop online for OEM Air Cleaner parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS450L, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Upon further inspection I think your right chuck. Previous owner definitely misplaced those rubber outlet inserts. I appreciate the help! I was ready to just buy a new damn airbox so you are a saviour

Comment

Take a look inside the holes where the rubber goes. The old crusty ones may have broke apart and be wedged inside there. Mine was that was and some hemostats quickly removed it.

Comment

Ok so i got the carbs out today and it turns out your right once again chuck. Previous owner decided it was to much hassle to get them to seat and just shoved them inside the airbox. After some hassle I understand why he did that. They seem to just be rattling around inside there and its pretty much impossible to get them to seat around the carb inlet. Any advice here? Every time i try they just go right back inside the airbox. New ones are on the way im hoping they are a bit more supple but im still at a loss about how to get these carbs back in right. Any advice on getting these damn carbs in a bit easier? These gs bikes are hell for that.

Comment

They have a seat to them and when you get the new ones it will be very obvious. But if you wanted to glue them in just swipe the holes with some contact cement and install the new rubbers. let it dry a while and alls well.

Comment

Just break apart the old ones any way you can. You'll be amazed when you see and feel the new ones -- they'll be significantly larger and very soft. Many people become convinced they've received the wrong parts when they compare new boots to the wizened remains of the old ones.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      You'll be amazed when you see and feel the new ones -- they'll be significantly larger and very soft.

where have I heard that before?
                      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                      X