Storm's Summer Motorcycle Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storm's Summer Motorcycle Adventure

I've been wanting to get back on the road since my last trip to Colorado two years ago. I was contemplating on where to go. Well, last October my cousin passed away he was only 50 years old. Well that made my decision on where to go easier. I need to go visit my other cousins, its been over 20 years since I've last seen them. They live in Arizona, what better place to go! So, the planning has started, saving money and vacation time I'm able to go on a three week road trip! The first part of my trip will be going to the GSR Rally in Bedford Indiana. After goofing around in Indiana for a couple of days, I'm off to the south to Memphis hopefully I get there in time for dinner. The next day I'll be heading to Lafayette Louisiana, I lived in Lafayette for a couple of years after graduating high school. I want to visit my old boss and eat some Cajun food. The next leg of the trip is going across Texas on interstate 10! Those are going to be long HOT days! I'll be stopping in the Austin Texas aria. Then make my way across Texas to Las Cruces New Mexico. That will set up for a easy day riding into Bisbee Arizona, my destination. The next few days will be heading north through Arizona, Utah Colorado. After taking in the views, I'll be working my way back home to Ohio. I'm not sure what route I'll take home, eather rt70 or 80....
    The motorcycle I will be riding is a 2017 Harley Street Glide Tour King. NEVER! Haha. It will be my 1979 Suzuki GS1000E! I couldn't think of a better motorcycle to take(well maybe the GS 1150). If anyone has any advice or things I need to do or see please let me know. If anyone would like to meet up for lunch or dinner along my way that would be great too. I'm not in a big hurry to get anywhere, I plan on doing just 400 mile days, maybe more maybe less. I'll be using this post to keep updates on my adventure for anyone interested. ☺
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

looking forward to when you show up in Moab....
    you NEED to ride the million dollar highway route and western Colorado roads besides Moab area stuff

Comment

Hey Norm,

I'll be checking your progress and updates. Ride safe!

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Be sure to take a long-sleeve flannel shirt. If you wet it down and wear it under your riding jacket, it's a GREAT air conditioner for your anticpated 100-degree days.

Bring the shirt to Brown County, I can fill in the details on how to use it properly.

We will be doing a similar trip next year (2018), but will be mostly staying north of your route. Our major destinations are Glacier National Park and Yosemite National Park. Will also stop by my sister's new house in Utah. Also a three week trip, might get in as many as 7000 miles in up to 34 states.

We can compare notes in Bedford.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Norm, sorry for the loss of your cousin.

If you dig blues music Memphis is the spot. We spent a night on Beale St sampling the local music.
          Wonderful....
          We drove an Elcamino with no A/C across RT 10.... yes hot. And that was in May. The bread on my
          sandwich started to dry up within 10 minutes.

Two thumbs up for doing this on an old GS.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'm in. See you in Bedford. Can't wait to see the new Harley
            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              If you dig blues music Memphis is the spot. We spent a night on Beale St sampling the local music.
              Wonderful....
              As much as Memphis has a reputation for Blues, it's even better in Clarksdale, MS.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I'd consider taking a little road trip and meet you for lunch or dinner. I have a feeling I owe you a beer or two. I have a friend in St. George UT I'd like to visit as well. Keep us posted. Consider a "Camelback" backpack for having a constant water supply on demand.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

That sounds awesome, ride safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                    I'd consider taking a little road trip and meet you for lunch or dinner. I have a feeling I owe you a beer or two. I have a friend in St. George UT I'd like to visit as well. Keep us posted. Consider a "Camelback" backpack for having a constant water supply on demand.
                    Hey Charlie, sure it would be great seeing you, but you don't owe me anything... I looked up where St.George is on the map. That's doable, if I can find a way around that big hole in the ground. (Grand Canyon)
                    Hey Dorkburger, that sandwich you had that dried out in 10 minutes. That's what you call "Texas Toast " haha
                    Steve, I like your hillbilly air-conditioning idea. (No offense to the hillbillies out there). Makes sense to me 👍
                    My Motorcycles:
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)

Comment

I had a great time at the Brown County Rally. After goofing around at the rally for a few days I'm off to extend my adventure. I made it to Grenada Mississippi, about 60 miles out of Memphis, a 535 mile day. The motorcycle ran great, well except it did give me a scare. I pulled in to get gas, I also had a ice cream cone. Well, pulling out of the gas station it DIED. I pushed it back to the station, pulled the sidecover off, a blown fuse! I replaced the fuse, no problems for the next 250 miles. Hopefully it won't be a future problem. It didn't really blow, it just got hot and melted the lead. After thinking about it, I think the motorcycle was just mad because I had a ice cream cone and it didn't... I did go through downtown Memphis, but I didn't stop. To many people and I had all my luggage strapped to the bike. I'll have a easy day tomorrow, only 325 miles to Lafayette Louisiana 👍
                      My Motorcycles:
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)

Comment

Sounds good, Norm, looking forward to your "air conditioning" experiences.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Nice seeing you again Norm. Stay safe on your trip. Looking forward to the updates.
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Bisbee is one of my favorite places in Arizona. A mile high, hidden in a cleft in a valley, huge mining and Old West history, a few fantastic restaurants and bars. Do the Copper Queen Mine tour, for sure, and grab a beer at The Stock Exchange. If you like pizza, get out to Screaming Banshee! They rock.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

After leaving Grenada Mississippi, I rode to Jackson Mississippi. I got off the highways for some two lane sightseeing. I rode the Natchez Trace Parkway to Natchez Louisiana. A nice road with very little traffic and a bunch of historical landmarks along the way. Leaving Natchez I rode along the Mississippi River and it's related swamp lands. I got lost a couple of times, but it's fun asking the locals for directions. I also got blasted with a thunderstorm! It didn't last to long and got sunny and hot the rest of the way to Lafayette. It looks like rain here today. I'm debating on blowing out of here and start heading west... Oh, the motorcycle is running great, with no blown fuses.
                              My Motorcycles:
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)

Comment

Working...
                              X