No announcement yet.

1984 gs550es sarts cold, runs well, then won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big D, I was starting to think the same, but didn't know what the symptoms were and didn't want to throw parts at it. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a 550, but I'm willing to buy an ignitor. I know ebay isn't the greatest and used parts are iffy, but the ignitor is over $500 through partzilla. Anyway, thank you for responding and I will post my results when I get them.

Comment

You did do the stator papers tests right? This may be an intermittent charging issue caused by a marginal system coupled with bad ground. Cheaper and easier than buying an igniter.

A bad igniter should not be able to run a bike for any significant period of time
      the time it did run for your daughter is likely what a bike can run on a full charge before depleting its battery.

just to repeat what I said the fsm specs on the igniter do not seem to match what a real world known good ignoiter displays. I have three of em and they also vary not only from the fsm but slightly from one another.
      Last edited by Cipher; 06-20-2017, 05:42 PM.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Hey Cipher. I read the stator papers and did the tests. The charging system was at about 14+ volts (don't remenber now..getting old, but was charging ). It will turn over quickly even when hot, so I'm assuming the battery is ok? At rest it has about 12.6 Volts. I did order a sh775 voltage regulator for (I work at a Polaris dealer) I looked at the ground strap, but didn't remove it or clean it. It was tight. Could this be the problem? She can run the bike for about 20 minutes, but then it starts to falter a little and won't idle well. If she stalls it, we have to trailer it home. We have another bike for her now, so I have time to work on it as I have time, not so stressed to get it running. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Started from the beginning today. Left fuel valve on prime Tested electrical system cold and hot after it won't start. Pulse coils, stator and coils were all well within specs. I did install a sh775 regulator as well. It was charging at about 14-14.45 VDC. Another member has offered to test my ignitor on his 550, so we'll see what the outcome is. Again, thanks to all that are helping. I hope I can repay the kindness someday. Chris

Comment

Did you ever find the solution? I’m have a similar issue with the bike not starting hot

Comment

Working...
            X